Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bright Bumper Recommendation Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Nov 16, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Hello All,

I love the look of the SEC front bumper, but my dark blue paint ended up almost black, so I want to go with Chrome to brighten things up.

While Warn has some nice looking bumpers, looks like they only have one rather simple model for the '79.

Anyone have or seen a cool looking winch bumper in Chrome that would fit a 79?

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The SEC bumpers come in chrome, not sure if all of them do though. Fredd????

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Reunel makes a slick but expensive bumper. Try www.reunel.com or you can call 800-338-2077 and they'll send you a package for free. I've seen one of them and it was real well made but the thing cost more than I paid for the truck.

Smitty

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My rear bumper, that is simular to SEC's, is all black. So I am going to ad stainless steel inserts to give it some nice looks.(like people put on thier rocker panels)The bumper will have some nice contrast, plus with stainless there will never be any rust coserns(yaaaa!!). Just a thought.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Why not just pay the money to get it chromed? It has to be cheaper to chrome your existing bumper than to go out and actually buy a new one. And although chrome looks sweet, keep in mind that the process actually weakens the steel.......

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies:

1) Hello Fred? SEC Bumpers in Chrome?

2) What/how/where do I get steel "Chromed"? I haven't heard of that.

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check the Yellow Pages for "chrome", "chromeplating" or "bumper repair". I got the bumpers for my 59 GMC halfton done abuot 8 years ago. I'm really not sure exactly how it's done; I believe they actually dip the entire bumper in a tank of liquified chrome that has a positive or negative charge to it, and through some sort of ion transfer, the chrome sticks to the metal. It's not that cheap, but if you like the bumper you have, it may be an option. Once again, keep in mind that chroming actually weakens the steel a bit.........

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Check under "Plating". That's where it is in SWBYP's. The chrome plating is electroplating. First the metal is smoothed and buffed (This is where it can be weakened if a lot of metal has to be romove to obtain a smoth appearance). Then the piece is degreased, then copper plated (dipped in a vat hooked to an electrode) and the copper solution is electrically bonded to the piece. It is buffed again then into a vat for nickel plating. After a quick buffing, it is then put into another vat for chorme plating. The chrome process is actually a hardening of the nickel alloy used in the previous step. Then it is buffed out for the final sheen. Plating used to be cheap, but the EPA has driven the price up. I was going to have my old bumper replated, but it was $75 cheaper to buy a new one (factory style). A friend of the family used to have a plating shop near Melbourne Fl., and my dad and I used to go down there to do our own plating. There are a few more steps than this but you get the general idea. One thing I'm finding on my '79 is that aftermarket products are geared more for the newer "street utility vehicles" and are built more for showing than for going.