Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brighter dash lights

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Feb 25, 2004.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I upgraded the dash lights on my '81 tonight.

I first learned of this mod over at www.67-72chevytrucks.com They have a 73-87 board over there that's really good. One of the members came up with this trick, and it works really well. You can read about it in full detail here.

I had a burned-out turn signal indicator on the dash, and I couldn't get to the bulb from behind, so I had to tear into the dash. Basically, I just pulled the dash apart, removed all the guages, painted the plastic bezel the guages go into with a chrome paint, painted the needles on the guages with a glowing orange paint, and then reassambled everything. Didn't take all that long, couple of hours maybe, and the results are fantastic! My dash lights are at least twice as bright as before. And the bright orange needles look great.

One of my future upgrade plans is to install some aftermarket guages like this. Until then, this is a really cheap mod that works really well!

The instructions in the link above don't say anything about painting the needles, but that's another trick I learned. It's well worth the effort.

I just thought I'd share this for all you fellow 73-87er's.

Casey

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the same a couple of months ago...except I didn't paint the needles. The dash lights are great now!!

Rene

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

SWEET!!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Will be doing this once the weather gets better!!!

4. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Where did u get the paint (glowing orange??) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just did the white gauge overlays In my 76. I used some blue painted 194 bulbs to give it a nice "cool blue" glow. But when i first got it all back together, They were dim!! Could hradly see the gauges. I took it all apart and painted the inside of the cluster ( the light green part) gloss white. Made a big difference, But still had some dark areas on the speedo and fuel gauge. So i took it apart agian and the black plastic trim panel that goes on before the lens, I painted the back side of that white also. Now you can see them all!!

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I got the chrome spray paint from the Wal-Mart auto section and the 'glowing orange' spray paint from the paint section of Wal-Mart.

Casey

7. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Cool..........thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif