Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brights are stuck!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i need some help, my bright lights are stuck on. the lever on my steering column wont click when i pull back, so my brights are stuck on, what do i do to fix this?
    it is a tilt column if that helps

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When you pull the lever, it moves a rod that runs down the side of the steering column and operates the high beam switch. The switch is on the lower, left side of the column. If the rod is moving, then the switch itself has probably failed. It's pretty easy to replace. If the rod isn't moving, then you get to take apart the steering column and find out why. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's most likely just the switch. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't hearing the switch "click" then its *probably* just out of adjustment. Either the rod has bent (unlikely) or the switch has "slipped" in its mounts. (two small screws hold it and the ignition switch in place) Of course, if the switch has broken so it doesn't make a click, it'd be the same symptoms.

If you DO hear the click as you pull the lever, then the switch is bad.

I believe you can stick your head under the dash and see where the rod hits the high beam switch. It's on the drivers side of the column down by the pedals. (as I recall, my switch was light blue) If you can pick it out, and find the rod that actuates it, try pushing the plunger in the switch in yourself, and see if it works. If it does, adjust the switch closer to wheel, or further away if you can't move the lever far enough right now.

If the plunger doesn't work, then the switch has broken.

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

ok i posted that a while ago, yet i have not been able to figure it out, i understand what your saying, but i dont know how to fix it.
    when i pull back it gets to a point where it SH <font color="brown"> </font> OULD click and it stops there and normally it would click and go back a bit further.
    any ideas..... i just finished my major floor pan replacement and now i want to fix these damn brights, ive prob been pissing AL <font color="red"> </font> OT of people off.
    thanks alot guys

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Were you running some auxilary lights off your highbeams? If so, it's pretty common for the contacts to get welded together before the circuit breaker blows. I don't know why it happens that way since it is so unlikely, but it happens.

Anyway, you can adjust the throw of the stalk by bending the rod that connects to the switch or by moving the switch. I recommend replacing the switch. It probably wouldn't hurt. If you stare at it long enough you'll see how it works.

As far as driving with your highbeams on, you should've unplugged them.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I just repaired the same problem this week. Remove the metal and plastic panels that are just under the steering column. The dimmer switch is located on the right hand side of the column. The switch provides tension for the rod to operate. There are two bolts that hold the switch in place, and are easily adjustable without dropping the column.