Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brights "broke" stuck on

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jfabert, Nov 11, 2005.

1. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, when I went to turn off my brights the switch broke and now they are stuck on. It is the blinker switch, how hard would it be to tear it down and replace it? I was thinking about just wiring in a toggle switch instead but how do I get the damn things to turn off. i have unpluged my highbeam headlights for now but the regular head lights are still bright. Witch way should I go? To replace the part is only $15.00.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There ya go , replace the part and be done with it :wink1:

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you already answered your question. get the 15 dollar part and replace it. its not that hard to do eaither. just get your self some hand tools, a steering wheel puller, and not 100 percent sure on this, but my '82 also requires a lock plate tool. but don't know if the newer ones do. once you get the wheel and lock plate (if you have one) off. its self explanitory from there. :waytogo:

4. jfabert

So I dont have to go very deep to replace it? I just didnt want to have to tear the whole thing down and risk loosing parts like I am so good at. I do have the tools to do it just wanted to avoid it if it had a lot of parts to remove. Thanx

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

you only have to go as deep as the switch...although you might have sit upside and look under the steering coloum and see if there is a wire harness to disconect. :dunno: (my highbeams are on the floor, so i'm not 100 % sure on your set up) if so just folow the wires from the switch to the harness

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

http://www.necoa.org/article95.html

that article will show you exactly how deep you need to go, and exactly what you need to pull (and if you have a tilt column and its loose at all, it will help you fix that too)

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The switch isn't inside the upper column. It's attached to the column, under the dash. It's operated by a rod that is operated by the lever. Look up under the dash while you move the lever and you should be able to see the rod moving. If you're lucky, the only problem is that the rod came disconnected from the switch.

8. jfabert

Even with the tilt column it will have the rod in it? I looked up the part in LMC Truck and for this year (87') is showed a switch in the column with a plug at the end of the wires. I will need to go look at it in the morning, its way to cold out right now and im way to warm to do it.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes the switch is at the base of the column. My tilt setup is sitting on the floor in my garage right now. :)

If you look under the dash, you should be able to see the rods. (one ignition, one dimmer)