Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke a bolt off for my starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zooman, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I was taking my starter off again yesterday and the bolt seemed really tight. Anyway the bolt broke off in the block. Has anyone ever tried drilling out one of these. I know it is going to be a real pain but I need to get this done. My engine is a 350. Thanks
    Matt

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I have done this before!! Just start out by using a punch to make a centering point for your drill bit then start small and go bigger from there and use lots of wd40 that way you wont burn up your drill bits. If you have any headers or exhaust in the way its easiest to take them off completely or move them as much as possible as to not obstruct angles. I have a set of left handed drill bits that sometimes make things easier for this. They sometimes will hook on the serew and remove it with out using a easy out. Good luck!!

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have also burned broken bolts out of a cast iron block before with a cutting torch.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

EZ out woiuld be highest recommended procedure to get it out,
    use one small enough aso that you dont have to drill a hole into broken bolt end that it cuts into thread in the block, or ytoull be in trouble

be glad engine block did not break at the hgole, they usually break before the bolts do... you are lucky !
    tranny case mount bolt holes break allt he time, its all because of steel bolts threaded into other types of metal, try to soak with penetrating oil before remving such bolts

5. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

Are these bolts hardened steel?
    Isn't there a chance an ez out could break causing me alot of trouble? I am just trying to cover all my bases here.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Matt

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

EZ out would be my last choice, as they are hardened, and if they break, make the problem even worse. Go through a bunch of threads on here with a search, and see the ratio of success vs. failure with ez outs. I bet the breakage ratio is over 50%.

It *has* worked for some people, and if a bolt broke only because it was overtightened, (not stuck such as exhaust manifold or coolant passage corrosion) it would more than likely work fine.