Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke a rocker stud...will water come out when i remove it????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leadfoot067, Nov 8, 2003.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

my heads have screw in studs....broke one today....it let go at like 5900 RPMS... ....anyways do rocker studs protrude into the water jacket????.... trying to avoid water in my oil...

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: broke a rocker stud

yes there is water waiting to come out once you remove the studs...atleast on some heads. My buddy who works at the machine shop kept getting water in his oil.. turned out the pressed in studs leaked.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

usually not. are you running a performance cam? are you running longer slot rockers? screw in studs are stronger than stock. usually a reason when they break.

4. leadfoot067

the heads are world products..SR torkers.....the cam is only a 260 comp cams..understand these heads have been on my oval track race motor for a few seasons.....running a very big cam,,,,with roller rockers and yes the geometry on the rocker vs pushrod length is correct....the rockers ride on the valve tips right where they should.......i just couldnt remember if the stud holes entered the water jacket.... i believe it broke just from stress of the previous motor seeing 7200 rpms regularly....... i have another set of screw in studs...mabye ill change all of them....

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

ok, some people have overlooked the rockers. But your on the ball, i see! but if 1 is stressed, I'de change them all.

6. leadfoot067

ya when i first got these heads a few years ago....the geometry was terrible with stock length pushrods.....ended up .125 longer pushrods to make them work.......but yet they are supposed to be a bolt on stock replacment head..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..o-well the HP is worth the cost of longer pushrods.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif