Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke a stub shaft/lockout in my Dana 60 now what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

I've got an 86 Cucv with 6.2 diesel/th400/205/stock axle shafts & 40in. tires so theres not huge amounts of power going to my axles here, although I plan to run 42's or 44's in the future and I'm lincoln locked. Do you guys think I would be alright with keeping the stock 35 spline inners?(they 'do' neck down) If not, would new 35sp. spicer inners that do not neck down hold up? After that it would have to be 4340 Chromoly Yukons (Superiors are out of the question).

Now for stub shafts.. I want to run 30 spline. Reason being, I've already bought a new set of 30 sp. Warn Premium hubs and I've also read that 30sp. hubs are stronger than 35sp. hubs..is that accurate? Is there such a thing as 30 spline chromoly stub shafts for the dana 60? I think Ive seen them on ebay before but I'm not sure.

Any help here?? You guys that have experience with breaking 60's please let me know what your suggestions are. By the way I already have a set of 5-806x non-greasable Spicer joints that I will be using on the truck if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I don't do much rock crawling at all just normal trail riding and mud but I am pretty hard on my truck wherever it goes..you gotta be with the a 6.2 and 40's.. momentum is your friend lol

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well it's either spend money all the time on stock stuff or save up and get what you really want, 35 spline chromo's and CTM joints = 1 happy 60 :D

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have not broken a stub or an inner yet (havent got the axle in the truck yet :D ), but I decided to stay with the 30 spl. outers. I might upgrade to a chrome-moly in the future if I see a problem. 35 spline is good for trail dedicated trucks IMHO. I did a bunch of searching and found that the 35 spline outers are for a Dana 70, but you can shoehorn them into a Dana 60 with the appropriate drive flange/lockout. But the clearance is a bit small beween the lockout and the stub, and they can engage themselves. I dont see this as a good thing if you see highway speeds at all. Of course this doesnt matter if your using drive flanges.

All in all, its your choice how you want to run your truck. Ive heard the 35 spl. are a great way to upgrade the stock Dana 60. Bill Vista has a few good pages on it on pirate, that tells of part # and strenghts...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-35Spline/index.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

4. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

who and where is a good place to find this and how expensive are these?

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, the whole 35-spline Dana 60 discussion has been gone over about 10,000 times, including a topic I posted within the last 2 weeks regarding 30-spline chromoly's, and you can come up with about a week's worth of reading by using the search function.......

But anyway,

I have a 6.2 powered K5 with 38's and a front locker. I've broken an inner necked down D60 shaft and a two 30-spline stubs so far, all at different times on different obstacles. The necked-down inner was the first to go, at which time I replaced both inners with new non-necked Spicers.

I'm now debating what to do in regards to the 30-spline stubs. Yukon sells chromoly 30-spline stubs that will cost you less than $200 shipped to your door and you just bolt them in with no other parts needed. Supposedly these are slightly stronger than the Spicer 35-spline stubs and will cost less total than the 35-spline route because you don't have to spend $150-$200 on new lockouts or flanges.

6. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Just ordered a set of 35spline non-neckdown inners and a set of chromoly 30 spline stub shafts. The guy at off road design couldn't confirm that these stubs would be stronger than 35spline spicers he said most guys that run the chromoly 30's are dodge 60 owners cause its a pain to run 35sp. stubs. Ill let you all know if I break anything. Thanks