Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke ball joint wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4x4runner, Mar 4, 2006.

1. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

last night I was doing some wheeling and my RF tire came out from under my truck. Lower ball joint broke! I've been running Spicer Ball joints for the past 2yrs in this axle. I had a feeling the ball joints were getting some slop in them, but didn't think they were that bad. Boy was I wrong. It turned into a Big ordeal and I had to have the truck dragged to the trail head and a tow truck drag it up on the flat bed. Now, my Question is... is breaking ball joints common on the D44's? What brand ball joints are the strongest? I'm thinking about just going to Napa for some premiums. B/c of this lower ball joint, it broke my inner axle shafts and TRE's.

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

This was one of the few ball joint breakages that I have heard about in quite a while. I run Moog ball joints, with 39" boggers. No breakage issues yet.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would agree that it is not a super common issue, however if you know they are getting worn and sloppy, then its probably time to replace. I started getting death wobble and thats when I replaced mine.

4. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

that musta sucked ass having it break on the trail

5. toy4x4runner

Yeah, really sucked ass. But I knew the Ball joints had play in them. I just didn't think they'd actually friggin break. I figured they'd get more slop. People seem to be giving Moog a thumbs up on multiple boards. would you guys run Spicer Ball joints or Moog if you had the option?

6. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run nothing but MOOG....

DW

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've always liked Moog best for steering parts

8. toy4x4runner

I talked to a local older parts guy and he also recomended MOOG for ball joints and TRE's. Looks like i'll get some Moog BJ's and TRE's and then some axle ujoints from work... some Brute Forces. Thanks guys. I got it taken apart this morning. here are some pics:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AaMWjdi5YsXqQ&notag=1

that's a Dutchman inner short axle shaft and a Stock later style stock stub shaft and I was running spicer axle joints.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Make sure that the axleshaft u-joint was not what broke first. The only balljoint failures I have seen were caused by the u-joint failing and/or the u-joint caps coming out of the yokes. When this happens it can spin around and catch on the inner part of the knuckles and easily pops the balljoints off.

10. toy4x4runner

ok... well my lower ball joint is still in the inner C. and it has the "ball" on the bottom still. It's like the lower BJ popped out of the socket. b/c both joints were still in the inner C. what does that sound like?

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Of course you were driving it so you should know exactly what happened. But what 6.2 mentioned is more common than an actual BJ failure. The shaft's ears or the u-joint fail and then cut the BJ. The other common failure is from an improperly preloaded upper causing too much slop.

And to answer your "?" I like Moog for steering parts, and Spicer for u-joints.

12. toy4x4runner

well when I built the axle about 1.5yrs ago I did NOT adjust the upper BJ preload like I should of. then about 3 months ago I did a "axle fresh up" and had the outer knuckles off. and the BJ's had VERTICAL Play. I was/am broke as crap so I put it back together... now I see it cost me even more money. and now I know how to "preload" the upper BJ and install them. Parts Mike has a HOW TO on it. torque sequence and stuff. but heres a better pic of the lower ball joint:
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AaMWjdi5YsXuA&notag=1

Only thing I felt when driving was the front right drop down. nothing else.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That will do it ever time. Good luck on the repair, PM has some great stuff.