Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke Bolt in Differental Cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Apr 1, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I noticed a that a bolt is broken off in my rear differntial cover, I think whoever had it before me must have overtightened it and the top broke off, and differential fluid is somehow seaping through it.

Is there anyway to get the screw out?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You'll need an easy-out kit- your local parts place should sell them. Once you get the sucker out, get a fresh set of bolts for the entire cover. FWIW, if you apply your RTV properly when reinstalling the cover, you shouldn't need to go very tight for the cover to seal up. I tighten diff covers by feel, probably no more than a 3/4 turn past finger tight.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

mig welder and a few nuts the same size as the broken bolt. hole one nut over the broken bolt and use mig welder to weld on the broken bolt then work it in to the nut and fill nut in. then let it cool and try to remove it. might need to heat the area with some good heat. and might need to weld more than 1 nut on as some wont hold.

it has saved me tons of money and time like this. as i have never had luck with easy outs.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you don't want to go through the trouble/expense of removing the bolt:

Just pull the cover, grind the broken bolt back flush with the mounting surface (if its sticking out a little) and reinstall the cover using RTV instead of a gasket. It will probably seal :D

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Perfect excuse to expand the tool collection. I'd get a set of easy outs from any of the big four (Snap-On, MAC, Matco, or Cornwell). I don't think I'd trust cheaper stuff, as that is one area that an expensive tool pays off, you've only got basically one good shot at using an easy-out, and a Snap-on one could get that stud to move where something cheap may slip inside it instead.

If that fails try welding on a nut like SweetK30 mentioned. If that fails too.... just go ahead with that 3/4ton swap and problem solved.:haha:

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

while you're drilling the holes for the easyout, use a left hand drill bit for the hole. More often than not, it will come out with the LH drill bit. if not then tap the easy out in there, if not, weld the nut on. The heat expansion contraction will usually let you turn it out by hand.

BTW I love my LH drill bits. Extraction purposes only.