Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke down....need help from engine gurus

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by eds77k5, Nov 10, 2002.

1. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

wifes car, 89 buick lesabre, 3.8 engine, water is leaking out just below the water pump, seems to be comeing from a plug of some kind, hard to see because it is just below the pulley, anyone know what this might be and what it would take to fix, any help is much appreciated, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like it might be a freeze plug. You're going to have to pull everything out of the way so you can see for sure what it is. Providing it is a freeze plug, I usely drill a hole in the center and use a pick or pointed end punch to pop the old one out, then I like to use a piece of emory cloth to to clean the surfaces, and tap a new one in.

3. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, sounds like it might be /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a different opinion...it's the water pump itself. Water pumps are equipped with a throwout bearing, and when the bearing goes out, coolant will leak out of a little hole in the bottom of the water pump. This happens to every water pump. The bearing goes after many miles. It's not unusual. You need to get a new one, replace the old one, and you'll be running like new.
    It would be very odd to have a "freeze plug" on the front of the engine.

5. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i looked at it some more and couldnt really tell for sure that it wasnt just comin from the water pump, i grew up with old cars, the newer ones just plain suck for workin on, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like a water pump weep hole as well. There are many ways to tell if it is the w/p. If the pulley is tight but has play it, or there maybe a corroded trail the coolant left on the w/p.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second that, it's the weep hole, that usually means replace the pump with a new one.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

it werent weepin, it was flat out cryin, water was runnin out as fast as i poured it in, its vets day and im takin the day off, sent it to her mechanic to be repaired, thanks for the info, it helped /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might also check out the bypass hose(little hose between the pump and intake manifold) and fitting. The fitting on my Bonniville with a 3.8L was made out of plastic. It cracked and leaked similar to the way you describe.
    GM makes a upgraded metal fitting to replace the POS plastic one. The guy at the parts counter told me the plastic ones break all the time.

10. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im thinkin its the wet hole too. You might wanna jiggle somethin around down there to see if it really is wet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Don't scrap it, JB it!!

11. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Im thinkin its the wet hole too. You might wanna jiggle somethin around down there to see if it really is wet

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO!