Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Mar 5, 2003.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, inevitably didn't get a steering frame brace after the 40s and now completely ripped the steering box from the frame (what an adventure to get the truck from the hills with a comalong to steer with). The frame is prertty bad shape there. I can get my pics maybe tomarrow up of it. What have people done to repair theres? I was thinking could cut the frame horn from above the axle and weld on a new section or would it be best to repair/ reinforce and/or box the frame there? I am in the process of getting parts acquired for crossover and hydro assist now too. Thanks.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, inevitably didn't get a steering frame brace after the 40s and now completely ripped the steering box from the frame (what an adventure to get the truck from the hills with a comalong to steer with). The frame is prertty bad shape there. I can get my pics maybe tomarrow up of it. What have people done to repair theres? I was thinking could cut the frame horn from above the axle and weld on a new section or would it be best to repair/ reinforce and/or box the frame there? I am in the process of getting parts acquired for crossover and hydro assist now too. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I had the same problem, only I got it together using the comalong, a ratchet strap and some bailing wire and drove it off the Rubicon trail.
    Got home, straightened it as much as I could, welded the patch on and then I cut a 1/4" plate and put it inside the frame rail, and now it's bullet proof.
    I am thinking of making these if someone is interested, or you can make it.
    It's stronger and better than any other brace I tried so far.
    Do not cut the horn off and weld another piece, it will only break next to the weld.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a replacement SWB frame for you. It's an '85 K10 shortie frame, perfect condition, no cracks, welds, bends, NOTHING. Straight, pure virgin frame. It still has some of the factory chassis paint and the yellow stenciled letters and numbers on it, too.
    I'm asking $350 for it as I paid just over $500 for it and had to pick it up at a salvage yard at the next state over.

Interested? I've checked the steering box area on the frame and there is not one crack anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I'll try to brace my current frame. Too cold out to work on it right now though.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. Besides this, how are the 40's working out?

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Trust me I know how you feel. By the way I repaired the frame I thought about welding a new end on but stayed with what I had and it looks bad at first but I comes together. I wish I took a pic. of the bottom it was torn in half.
    [​IMG]

7. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

D@MN that's gotta hurt

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You think this is bad.
    You should have seen mine, it took me a day to pound it back close enough to fit the weld on brace.
    The center section between the 4 bolts was completely torn of and the edges were rolled and stretched.
    The inner plate really made the difference