Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke Front Spider Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Nov 26, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have a 10 bolt two weeks ago my hubs went out, replace them with warn premiums, While in the process found out spindle was F**Ked. Replaced spindle. Yesterday went wheeling to try out hubs and broke spider gears. What is recommended replace carrier, or the whole axle ( Yes I would like a Dana 60 but can't afford it what would be my other alternative?)

Houston, TX

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If the Ring & Pinion didn't eat any chunks of the spiders you can just replace them. I bet you could even use ones from a rear 10bolt which would make them easy and cheep to find.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What would be the next step up for a front axle other than a dana 60?

Houston, TX

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could start upgrading the stuff you have (like a full case LSD, Moly shafts, truss...) but it still won't be as strong as a D60 (and would probably cost more $$$). Generally you can get out of where you are wheel'n with a broken front end so I would say replace the spiders (and put new Spicer u-joints while you are at it) and drive it like it is (just take it easy and learn to take the right line to make your stuff longer).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

A Dana 44 is almost exactly the same as the 10 bolt front in strength. The only difference is the thickness of the tubes. Ring and pinion, ball joints, all the same strength. The only upgrade would be the Dana 60, or, if you could find one, a Dana 50 out of a new SD Ford. As for the front, an internal kit would run you about $90 from the GM dealer. A Powertrax locker would be about $280.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

IMO upgrading to the chromo shafts, Detroit, etc. in most cases is not worth it in a D44 or 10 bolts front. If you plan to eventually go the D60 route, but it will be several years until you can justify the expense, you may want to add a drop in locker for the time being. (Geez, did I really just recommend one of those things?)

As for a cheap source for spider gears, try to find someone who has added a drop in locker and will sell/give you theirs. When shopping for used front end parts, I try to find stuff out of a non-full-time 4x4 truck.

Don't forget the new Spicer joints while you're in their, either. There is a NEW part number that is a bit stronger than the old 297s.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd