Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke handle-can't use window... help??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LIFSVR7, Jan 28, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Broke handle-can\'t use window... help??

Ok... Well as you can tell I was a dummy and when the handle to crank the window down bound up (has done before) but I forced it and it snapped... I took off the inner panel and am tring to get to the handle and regualtor, but can't figure it out... I can't get the window out.. I unbolted the 4 bolts but it didn't budge... any tricks?? Advice?? diagrams on how to do it... PLEASE HELP.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: Broke handle-can\'t use window... help??

did you break the actual crank/regulator or just the window handle? I recently changed both regulators and they just take a little work to get out. Make sure to remove the bolt for the bracket supporting the rear window guide(towards rearend of vehicle). This will allow you to move window a bit more to rotate and work out.

3. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well, the crank came out of the tailgate itself, and instead of it being round... I think it broke in half too.. but the prolem lies with trying to get the window out of the way to work on the mechanism... I unbolted what I thought was holding the window (4 bolts on bottom bracket) but couldn't get it to budge... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif </font color>

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

So is the window in the down position? There should be 4 bolts. Two near each end on the bottom of the window. Once those bolt are off you should be able to push the window up.
    Then take the dust caps off either end of the tailgate. I had to take inside weather stripping off to actually get the window out.

With all that out of the was it should be a lot easier to survey the damage.

5. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well actally the window is about 1/3 up, but I have been looking for another tailgate and just say screw it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif no one has one... any ideas???? Mine is in good shape... but I guess I am looking for the easy way out... </font color>

6. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried to unbolt the 2 glass channels? They both have two bolts, but I don't remember if the bolt heads are on the outside or inside of the tailgate.

Anyways, If you have the 4 bolts across the bottom, and both bolts on each side undone,there shouldn't be anything holding it. If it still won't come out, my suggestion is to carefully bend the metal track accross the bottom away from the glass with a screwdriver untill the glass can slide out.
    A new track (window sash) from LMC is 34.95, part # 38-6680. A new seal/cushion for between the sash and glass is 5.95 part # 36-6193. The part #'s for the left and right guide channels are #38-6690 and #38-6691, both are 9.95 ea.

Using those numbers you can order online from their website www.lmctruck.com Hope this is helpful!

7. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well, I wanted to thank everyone for all their help... as it finally came out... DAMAGE REPORT: Broken crank handle... and I think the regulator is messed up... What had happened it that the regualtor caught the bottom sash and it wouldn't budge... but I finally got it with some finesse... as for the regualor... when I took it out it is spring loaded, and when I put it back in, the window crank won't work.. (tried to turn it from outside with screwdriver) like the gears arent touching anymore... so I am not sure if its because I forgot to do something when I put it in or what... so I think best thing is to get a new crank and regulator and then be done with it... any other suggestions??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif </font color>

8. JeremyK5

So you're saying it turned with very little effort? Did you take the clutch off the handle? The clutch is the two pronged part that is held on with a retaining ring, and it sits up against the regulator. Inside the clutch is a little metal pawl that can sometimes break, and if it breaks the outer part of the handle will turn but nothing will happen.
    As for the regulator, if it's broken I would check the nearest junkyard first, because a new one from LMC is $149.95 If you can't find one locally I might have a usable one for a lot cheaper than that, but I haven't seen it in a few months. (I would need to re-check its condition.) Where are you located, so I could check at work to see how much it would be to ship.
    If you decide to use new parts, here are LMC's part #'s.
    regulator- #38-6588 $149.95
    roller and rivet for regulator ends- #30-0498 $4.95
    taigate handle assembly- #38-6678 $49.95
    mounting pad for handle- #36-0509 $8.95
    lock cylinder- #36-0780 $19.95
    clutch pawl- #36-0781 $8.95
    clutch pawl spring- #30-3177 $1.95
    clutch- #36-0782 $12.95
    retaining ring for clutch- #36-0783 $5.95

9. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well, here's is what I have.. the handle... and on the handle is a joint with a round piece on the end that inserts into the tailgate(that is broke) , and I thing I have that 2-pronged thing, and that is it... when I look into the hole I see the regulator and on it is like a T which I guess the clutch sits in/on... I can send you a pic to help... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif</font color>

10. JeremyK5

Have you tried just grabbing the T on the regulator and turning it with a pair of wide needle nose pliers? I can't see how you could turn the t with a screwdriver, maybe I'm forgetting something.
    When it's all put together, the only part of the handle that touches the regulator it the two prongs on the clutch. I think tomorrow I'll take the cover off my tailgate to refresh my memory, and see if I can come up with any advice that is more helpful.

11. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well, I tried it before and it just turned, the window glides up and down, so I am not sure if I messed something up, every now and then it works so I was thinking that the clutch had something to do with it... like holding it against the gears... but in anycase I think that I need the handle/clutch assembly... I can send PIC to show what it is that I have... YOUR E-MAIL DOESN'T WORK FROM HERE... so you have to give it to me... I thin kI will try to take it apart again at work tomorrow... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif </font color>

12. JeremyK5

Try sending me E-mail now. My mailbox was full again, spam sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It doesn't help any that I've only got a free 6 meg mailbox.