Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke hard brake line on passenger side, how do I fix it? FRUSTRATED!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FreedomIsntFree, Sep 1, 2005.

1. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

So I was trying to loosen the fitting where it comes together on the frame rail and I snapped the hardline on the passenger side.

Please tell me I don't have to buy a whole new hardline that goes from the master cylinder to the front passenger side?

Can't I just use a coupler or sometype of fitting to splice it back together? I'm really upset that I broke that line. :angry1:

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

if it broke right at the nut you ought to be able to cut it, flare it and reuse it.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not so bad....

You can buy a line with fittings installed at a parts store for about 5-10 bucks--OR you can cut and double flare it and add a small peice--don't be tempted to use compression type fittings!--they are not designed to handle the pressure,and could fail at the worst moment!...

I feel your pain--I have to change both of the rubber hoses on my 79 C10's front brakes--and I'm hoping I dont have the same problem as you--but with my luck,I will! :doah: --fix it right and be safe!--if it snapped off that easy,its probably rusty somewhhere else too,and ready to pop. :eek1:

I'd not bother splicing a new peice in--replace the whole line back to the juntion block on the front crossmember..bring the old line with you,they are different threads at the junction block sometimes--you might need a brass adapter fitting.. :crazy:

4. FreedomIsntFree

Broke it about 3/4" past the nut on the hard line. Can I just cut the line straight, slip the fitting over it and flare the tip? I think that's what you mean.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes that is what i mean

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you use a double flair...a regular flair won't hold.

7. FreedomIsntFree

I'm gonna head to a place called Stuart Hose and Pipe in the morning and just buy some lines. There is a block on the frame. So I can just go from that to the frame near the rotor. So at least I don't have to replace all the way from the master cylinder to the rotor.