Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke my dana 44

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by leadfoot067, Jan 19, 2004.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

for some reason 5 of the ring gear bolts came out..and the other 5 broke .....anybody else aver have this happen? and will it hold with just 5 bolts??(cough cough)... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I had this happen 3 years ago. I had a 44 front in my truck, and it started all of a sudden making noise and acted like it was binding up internally. All my ring gear bolts had backed out and caught and broke off (the heads).

I don't know why it happened, but it did. I just swapped in another whole axle that I had.

3. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Never use the bolts that come in the install kits, always reuse or buy new Spicer bolts. I don't know why, but even after cleaning them with brake clean, letting them dry, using red locktite and torquing them to spec we have had more than a couple of problems with them backing out while I worked at 4WPW. I've done more than a couple sets of gears /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and won't do it any other way. That really sucks about your diff. Did it do any damage to the carrier, gears etc.? I may have some parts for you.

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well this was just the kind of excuse i needed to buy a 60....so thats what ill do with my taxes this year.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifthe carrier seems to be fine....basically the 44 needs a total rebuild....its full of muddy slop,and the pinion bearings are gone also....so i guess ill just part the 44 out...

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

oooooo ooooooooooooh pick me pick me!