Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke my plow ram, can u fix???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglytruk, Feb 21, 2007.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I run a very old FISHER snow plow. I beat the sh*t out of it, and this is what the rams look like. I welded one end back on, and then the patch bashed the packing nut, even though there was about an 1/2 inch clearance. Or so I thought :mad: . When plowing, it recedes into the tube, and voila... Keerak...

Any ideas how to fix the rusted out end? I may try the machine shop downtown, make a few new ends, as it's a common prob... :crazy:

Any body have any spare partz? I need a couple straps that run from the lower frame to the top. They're missing from one of my scrap yard gems... :doah:

2 21 07  Snow Barn 17  Broken Plow 001.jpg

2 21 07  Snow Barn 17  Broken Plow 005.jpg

2 21 07  Snow Barn 17  Broken Plow 008.jpg

2 21 07  Snow Barn 17  Broken Plow 009.jpg

2 21 07  Snow Barn 17  Broken Plow 010.jpg

2. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Speaking of spare partz...

...what about one of these lenses?

Diassapeared with the struts...

1 15 07  15f  Plow Vid 001.jpg

1 15 07  15f  Plow Vid 002.jpg

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

on my way...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine broke the same way...

It's a common dilema on a Fisher plow,to tear the end of the ram out like that after they get very old and rusted..the plow I had on my 74 K20 did the exact same thing--I welded a peice of pipe over the end of the ram,also welded a U bolt around the end,it to help hold it on,(like the strap in one of your photos),and drilled the hole for the pin in it...

It worked fine again,but I later learned a new ram only costs about 50 bucks brand new from places like Northern Tool!..I found a few "spare" rams on a junked plow truck at a boneyard for 30 bucks for the pair,that were in excellent shape!..(it never ceases to amaze me what people JUNK!.the plow setup on the junkyard truck made mine look sick!)...:doah: --but I'm glad they do,I got the entire plow pump setup,hoses,control valve,joystick, and engine brackets for my 82 K20 6.2 off a K5 that someone junked with the plow still attached!..for 40 bucks!...:laugh:

You can buy lenses for the plow lights at pretty much any good parts store that sells plow lights--they might have to order them..you'll need to know the brand,like Grote,Dietz,Yankee,etc..I've also found nice plow lights on junked plow trucks..I used K-C daylighters with #4000 sealed beams stuffed in them, as plow lights on my 74 K20 for years...they finally rotted out and fell off!:crazy: