Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke out windshield today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

well, I had a lot of fun today taking advantage of the tunderstorms.... there was tons of awsome mud.... but I was riding at night time and hit a low limb on the passenger side... a small piece of stick is stuck in the top of the windshield against the gasket, and needless to say there are several cracks that extend about a foot.... They NOT spread across the whole windshield, and I don't want them to be, cause then it won't be street legal.. So is there any way that the cracks can be prevented from spreading? or am I just screwed and have to sit back and watch them spread?

what years can I use to replace the windshield in the k20 burban?

Its my first real trail damage in this rig :saweet:
    I didn't get mad when it happened, me and my buddy just had a good laugh..

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

im pretty sure once its past the "chip" stage, there is no stopping the crack propagation... you need a new piece of glass
    i believe any year truck will work from 73-87 (thru 91 for K5 Blazers and Subs)... but i may be incorrect and it may be broken down 73-80 and 81-87(91), im not sure

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Get a drill, and drill a stop hole at the end of each crack. :D

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Use super glue!

I've used "super glue" to help keep the cracks from spreading--it works,but only temporarily..a new windsheild is the only way out..hope you have glass insurance!.. :crazy:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Windshields for these trucks are cheap though ... I seem to recall my glass deductible being $100 and the glass being maybe $150, not necessartily worth putting on your insurance.

Donno 'bout where you are, but out here the Pick N Pull junkyards have a partner outfit next door who will pull the glass and install it for you, can't be too expensive.

Or, yeah, any truck from 73-87/91 will work.

-- A

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm just gonna run with it untill it spreads across the whole windshield, wonder how long that will take ? :doah:
    I was so proud of having a truck with all perfect glass.. glass insurance :haha:.......... liability only, and its a wonder I have that..

any tips on removing/installing windshields, in case I find a cheap donor truck?
    oh yeah, my sister's new boyfriend's parents have a glass repair business :thinking: .......... doubt if they'll help me considering my life project is terrorizing her boyfriend's..

I need to get a pic of the windshield and show yall... and my poser mud shots :o