Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke some stuff over the weekend, few questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I was driving out to the inlaws over the weekend I was about half way there and upon leaving from a stop sign I noticed I have a vibration and about 10ft after that I blew out my rear driveshaft so I pulled over to take a look at the damage, it had not taken out anything else which was nice but on the front yolk where the u-joint sits one of the u-joint holders was busted off, anyway I removed the shaft and went into 4hi to get me home. After getting to the inlaws I finished taking the u-joint and stuff out and went to back out of the garage upon doing so I heard a loud snap which I immediately thought it was an axle upon further observation I noticed that the u-joint between the axle and hub would spin and the tire would not, and when I blocked that joint the other tire would spin, making me figure its the hub, I took the cap off and there was a serious lack of grease on the hub and the grease that was there was gritty. So I want to replace my hubs, do I need a special hub for the partime conversion or can I use the standard 1/2 ton hub? What do you think I blew inside there? I have never had a hub apart before and am not to sure how everything works in there, are there any good step by step with pics so I can see the difference with mine. Also do you think a machine shop can fix the driveshaft? How much should I expect to pay?
    I have searched and came up with some different ways of replacing the hub but I'm hoping someone has a site with pics. Also couldn't find anything on replacing partime hubs.
    Thanks

Thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok this isn't too bad hub's are pretty easy. I take it you have automatic hubs?? Doesn't really matter anyway. No you don't need that kit just a new set of hubs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Pretty easy install. You may also want to check and/or replace your wheel bearings while you are in there especially if the grease is "gritty". Anyway here is a post on doing hubs and wheel bearings. Good luck post up if ya get stuck. P.S. You will need a special tool for the wheel bearings. Big round socket with four teeth on the end any auto parts store should carry it. The one for a Dana 44 and 10b are the same.

3. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

What transfer case do you have? If you have a 203 without the part time kit, I think you can put standard hubs on it AS LONG AS YOU ALWAYS KEEP THEM LOCKED!

4. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replys, I have the tools available to me through work. I have a np203 converted. I'm heading over to the machine shop to get the driveshaft fixed. Thanks for the help I'll order hubs right now, I want warn premium right?

5. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

the premiums are life time so it makes a lot of since to get them.

As for replacing the hubs, you dont need the conversion kit. All you need are the hubs. As stated earlier, they are real easy to put in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'll feel silly for asking about it after your done. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Been there, done that!

6. MTBLAZER89

Premium or Standards both widely used. Depends on what you want to spend and how hard you wheel it. Some people don't like the full turn on the Premiums's. I don't really mind it mine work great. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I currently have the premiums on there and they didn't hold up on my poser driving /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so I don't think I want to step down in reliability. I should write warn and ask for my money back on the new hubs I just bought /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif .
    I got a new yoke 80bux canadian with a u-joint. Standard hubs were 114 and the premiums were 170. And I didn't think I'd have to spend anything on the old girl this month /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. MTBLAZER89

I don't know if they have a warranty on them or not. Never hurts to ask /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Some companies will really back their product especially if you aren't running hardcore stuff.