Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke something else, any ideas what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowmoon, Sep 22, 2002.

1. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

After putting in a new engine and clutch, I put about 1500 miles on them, then was racing around town and something happened. The truck now hops when I take off, and I got a pretty good shake while driving. Engine and clutch still feel pretty good. Any Ideas would be great (I'm getting ready to crawl under and see if I can find anything right now...

2. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Check the u joints. My Crown vic would shake when I took off and about five seconds later the e jiont popped.

3. yellowmoon

Just crawled under, and the u-joints look fine. I couldn't find any cracks or anything loose. I am missing a shock rubber mount in the rear and body mounts are all shot... Still looking. I also got a stripped tran mount bolt, going right over to the parts store and get a longer bolt and put a nut on it.

4. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Mine acted like that when i blew up the clutch had about a 1000 miles on it. Jumped and shaked everytime i left a stop. Had a real bad vibration. The center of the clutch plate had ripped out. The shop blamed it on a heavy right foot and low gears.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

maybe the clutch...
    My dads bad clutch would hop the whole truck when taking off from a stop sign... one of those three fingers for the clutch wore out and it was really weak... the other two were stiff.... so the two would grab and the other one would be all loose and make the whole truck hop when you'd try to take off.

my 2 cents.
    Good Luck DUDE! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced when you changed the clutch? It could be that it is warped.

7. yellowmoon

I was really thnking it was the clutch, brand new centerforce and no did not have the flywheel resurfaced. Found out a few things today, I'm getting a lot of movement on the rear axle, it is aiming way up in the air. Is this my rear springs? Are they twisting too much? I was messing around with it (this is going to make me sound dumb), but turned around the back blocks and it looked perfect. When I drove it, it pivoted down pulled the drive line apart. When I did that the front wheels are dead, so maybe I killed the transfer case. Would the transfer case cause the shake? Going to drop it off at the shop and find out about the transfer case tommarow. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I forget what it's called, but the clutch/throw out bearing rides on it. Its a shaft that goes over the output shaft of the tranny. Mine was really grooved and it eventually broke. But the truck used to shake around like hell til the clutch was compltely engaged. Check that out.