Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broke tc support rod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever broke thiers? I was crawling around the underside of my truck while I'm waiting for my d-shaft to get back and noticed the tc support rod, the one that goes from the side of the 208 to the tranny bolt, was broke at the forward most bolt hole. Have no idea how it happened.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep mine is broke. Just dont have the energy to pull the tranny to fix it.:crazy:

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

why do you have to pull the tranny? Mine came out with three bolts and didn't have too pull anything else.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine broke on the last trip I had. Is it necessary or is there a better option. I may have to come up with something... hmmmm

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The bolt that holds it to the tranny/engine broke off. So I have to pull the tranny to be able to get some pliers on the piece of bolt.
    It wouldnt take me more then a hour or two im just lazy like that:D

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bolt busted?...

I've removed a few broken belhousing bolts if they were not broken off flush with the block, by using a welder..built up a blob of weld on top of the broken "stub" and grabbed it with vise grips..

Once the bolt has broken,all tension is relieved,and they usually can be unscrewed with your fingers (if you could get a hold on them!)..A few times the welding rod stuck to the bolt,all I had to do was let it cool off several minutes,and I used the rod to unscrew the bolt..

I got broken bolts out of cylinder head that held the exhaust manifold on a Ford truck that way once....it saved about 3 hours of work,I would have had to take a hundred things off to remove the manifold otherwise....and probably broken even more bolts and other stuff doing it!..that thing was a nightmare to work on!..:eek1: