Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broke the bleeder screw...am I in deep

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Dec 7, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, I replaced my master cylinder and brake booster....so , I have to of course bleed the brakes....(I also don't think it has ever been done on the blazer).. Anyway, I'm literally just putting a little pressure (comparitively speaking) on the bleeder screw and off she comes....So, my question is what the heck are my opitions....I don't want to try the other three as I m sure there corroded on just as much...Anyway, guys, this might be a job for the pro fo mechanics..But, any ideas or advice would be good.. thanks
    MarcD

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I seem to remeber a similar question, and the general solution was a new caliper at the cost of $14 or so, hope that helps

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

New calipers out front and new wheel cylinders out back. Can do it all for under $50.

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

if it was the first one, i assume that it is the rear. if so, just replace the entire wheel cylinder - they are only about 12 bones each and it probably would be some good preventive maintenance with your rig being a bit older...

5. equalizer

Thanks so much guys....You know, this web community has never let me down when I needed info....Rocking....So, first, replacing the front calipers is no problem...But what about the left and right rear wheel cylinders...What kind of job is this, and should I expect a lot of work just to remove the existing ones......Who knew that bleeder screws could be such a pain....Also, it seems to me that rust/corrison is a better weld than a weld itself..Just a thought

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I just got done replacing my wheelcylinder on my 14 bolt. All you need to do is take the drum off, loosen up the shoes, then unbolt the 2 bolts on the back side of the wheel cylinder. The put the new one on and do the process in reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It is very easy to change wheel cylinders.

Hope this helps you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you can always go for a set of ez-outs witch are simply counter threaded screws.They are great for getting out of jams thread them in (counter clock wise) and out it will come. I have even used them for bolts busted in a hole drill first the ez-out, there 15 bucks or so depending on quality and a great investment
    dave in canada

GO FULL SIZE OR GO HOME!!

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my wheel cylinders and calipers due to corroded bleeders. I tried using an ez out and it didn't work.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually by the time bleeders are siezed/frozen in the wheel cylinders or calipers it's about time they got replaced anyways...

Rene

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Even easier is to just bleed them from the brake lines instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have done this many times over the years when a stubborn bleeder screw has broken on me. The best part is it doesn't cost you anything.

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"Even easier is to just bleed them from the brake lines instead. I have done this many times over the years when a stubborn bleeder screw has broken on me. The best part is it doesn't cost you anything. "

This is a good trick to get you home but still leaves air in the caliper/wc, replace it if it brakes and do both sides of the axle at minumum. For future refrence, always try to tighten the bleeder first, just slightly, this will rpevent future brakeage. I would replace the calipers and w/cs, if 50$ and a few hours of time isnt worth your life ( whats more importaint on a vechicle then the brakes) then what is, does your friends/wife/ children ride in this truck? is it worth theirs?

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Usually by the time bleeders are siezed/frozen in the wheel cylinders or calipers it's about time they got replaced anyways...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    fully agreed. along with taking a very close look at the rest of the brake system. i would also sugest a powerbleed as well to flush out ALL the old fluid.
    Grant

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    whats more importaint on a vechicle then the brakes

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take steering over brakes.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I have driven the last mile or two home without brakes, but I certainly wouldn't move my truck more than a few feet without steering.

Rene

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hehehe

wouldnt and couldnt, both

good luck

15. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"I'll take steering over brakes... I have driven the last mile or two home without brakes, but I certainly wouldn't move my truck more than a few feet without steering"

real men steer with the throttle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll take steering over brakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you have a 4 spd too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif at least you can slow down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but you have a 4 spd too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif at least you can slow down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could use that 4 speed to stop the truck...shut the motor off and use the motor as a compression brake, which was exactly what I did.

Doesn't your automatic have reverse? Gear it down until you're going somewhat slow and use reverse with a little throttle input as needed...nowhere near as elegant as with a 4 speed but still effective in a pinch.

Of course if you have a functional E-brake most of this is just useless trivia.

My point was if you lose steering you're probably going to be in worse shape than if you lose your brakes. I prefer to have both though... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

18. equalizer

Ya, my emergency brake doesn't work, tell you the truth, I don't think I've owned a truck that has. Anyway, thanks all you guys for the info...I'm heading to NAPA this afternoon going to order, at least to start, the back wheel cylinders. I've got the Hayes manual out to help me out, but just reading through the directions briefly I might yet have a few questions about putting them in (although, it seems to me that most of you guys don't think its that big of a job). Anyway, thanks again,
    Rock on
    MarcD

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard to do. Just do one side at a time so you have the other side for reference. And be ready to do a lot of cussing at those springs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif