Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken 205, need help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Langosta39, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Ok guys, I've got an '86 NP205 with the slipyoke rear output. I dented the tailshaft housing right on the end of it and it broke off about 3/4" of it, and cracked back an inch or so. Obviously I need to replace this, but what are my options? The slipyoke 205 is a rare thing and I live in a tiny town with a tiny junkyard. Is there any chance the tailshaft housing from a 203 or 208 will work? Can I take the tailshaft and yoke from a fixed yoke 205 and put it in (i know id need a new driveline)? I haven't pulled it off yet so I dont know what the housing contains, but I assume it just holds fluid and not a bearing or something so they couldn't be too expensive to get a new one, or am I wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry for the long post, I am kind of in a hurry to get this fixed since I've got at least 2 planned outings around the 1st of the year /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
    Andy

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just to be sure, are you talking about the aluminum tailhousing that holds the seal or the actual slip yoke the holds the u-joint?

I'm figuring you need the aluminum piece and I'm pretty sure it's the same as a 208 case. The fixed yoke tailshaft assembly from another 205 will interchange into yours with no problems, it's a direct swap.

If you can't find a housing in a local salvage yard let me know, I have a couple at home so I could send you one. The only problem with mine is that there is a bushing in it that looks scored, it's not hurt bad but I'd replace it.

Let me kow if you need it.

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm talking about the aluminum part with the seal in it. If I pull apart a fixed yoke 205 what do I need to take out of it? I've never been inside a transfer case before, but I'm not worried about doing it at all.

Anyone else know about the interchangability of the slipyoke housings?

andy

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

From the fixed yoke 205 you will need the yoke, seal retainer and short tailshaft assembly. If you can get it all, I'd get the big iron collar that is inboard of the seal retainer (w/ the speedo cable thingy) also, it's good spare parts and it has to come of anyway. Be careful when removing the tailshaft, there are needle bearings in the forward end of it that may spill while disassembling it, when you install it in yours just pack a wad of heavy bearing grease on them and they should stay in place.

The reason I think the 205 housing will work is that I usually would have to buy a seal for a 208 to get the correct one for my old slip yoke housing.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i probably have the stuff you need also to fix it as i have both slip and fixed yok setups laying around
    so i guess let me know if you want som help with this