Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken ANtenna

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BurbLover, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I broke off the top of my K40 the last time I went wheeling. So, I am in need of a new antenna. I was wondering how/where some of you guys mounted your antennas and which ones you used that were standing up to the constant tree branch abuse. (Pictures would be helpful.) Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the K40 is one of the better antenna's avalible. You might want to use a magnet mount. I would think it'd knock off befor it'd break. I think you can get replacement parts for the K40.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I have the mag mount on it. I'm just tired of it contantly getting knocked off in the mtns. I actually lost the metal antenna out of it. I could replace that, but am looking for something a bit more durable.

4. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

Try a solid mount with a spring,it will absorb most of the rough stuff.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I use a 102" mounted low (close to the bumper) on a spring mount. Its fiberglass, and hasn't snapped yet, even with all the low hanging trees and stuff. It doesnt matter how good a antenna you have, if you dont have something to "give" it will eventually pop off somewhere .
    (why I stopped using my magnetic mount)..

P.S.: You know, the aussies actually run their CB antenna in the FRONT of their trucks on their bumper.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Get a skinny Wilson fiberglass one. A little better that the K40 and more flexible, for running under things.

I have rubbed mine on trees, underpasses, and bridges with no failures.

Twice I did remove it because what I was going under would have broke that thing off, BTW it is mounted with a forward lean, in the 'single bullhorn' style....

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    P.S.: You know, the aussies actually run their CB antenna in the FRONT of their trucks on their bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the best place to mount it is dead center of the roof. Mounting in front or back is a matter of choice. In the old days (70's) if you didnt want to hear anything but ignition noise, you mounted up front. I could remember as a kid having my AM radio and even the B&W TV get noise from cars going down the street cuz car ignitions were that noisy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the best place to mount it is dead center of the roof. Mounting in front or back is a matter of choice. In the old days (70's) if you didnt want to hear anything but ignition noise, you mounted up front. I could remember as a kid having my AM radio and even the B&W TV get noise from cars going down the street cuz car ignitions were that noisy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] How about power tools and things like vacume cleaners, or mixers. Those things made some electrical noise !! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif