Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Belt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Apr 18, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Firstly, I'm from the UK and my 85K5 is my first American truck.!!!
    I have a broken belt, but, what belt is it.
    If you stand at the radiator grille looking at the engine, it's the belt on the left, from the fan to (This is what I don't know) It comes from the fan to a pump or something on the left (As you look at the motor) This pump? can be adjusted to I guess adjust tension or something? I had to drive home with no belt on this, What is this unit? did I harm my motor by driving it?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Was this "pump" towards the top of the engine or towards the bottom? If it's at the bottom then that's your smog pump, you didn't really hurt much driving without it connected but you should replace the belt ASAP. If it's towards the top of the motor, then that's your alternator, you wont drive very along without it(without the alternator the engine runs on the battery which wont last long) so get the belt fixed PDQ

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like the belt that drives the air pump. That pump adds air to the exhaust stream, after the exhaust exits the combustion chambers, to add some free oxygen molecules to help ignite any unburned fuel. It does a great job of keeping the air clean, while using very little power to operate.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Might it also be the A/C pump? (If its on that side at the top?)

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!