Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken bodymount bolts?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Nov 1, 2002.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever broke body mount bolts with a body lift installed? I have heard that body bolts will break if you flex it pretty good if you have a body lift. A friend of mine has devised a body lift that he says is as strong as stock but i dont know if i want to go through all the fab work of the custom lift or just buy a regular body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have seen broken body mount bolts on non-body lifted vehicles. Over time the bolts seize into the weld nut, or in Noangel's case, the bolt rotted to the point where it tapered to less than half it's diameter (salt/sand got in between the bolt and the body mount rubber and rusted it away). I went to loosen it and being rusted to the weld nut, and rusted to less than half it's diameter inside the rubber mount, it snapped. I am going to have to cut a hole in the floor to get to the topside and see what it looks like at the weldnut. After it is fixed and the bolt replaced, the hole mount support is getting filled with a mix of grease/oil to keep rust and rot out.

Moral: You have to keep an eye on the bolts regardless of body lift or not. Yes a body lift adds more stress, but the kits are "designed" for those added stresses (keeping in mind anything can break/bend with enough force). Buy a quality kit (you usually get what you pay for), follow the manufacturers recommendations and keep an eye on them following. IF the instructions don't say to use anti-seize compound, I would suggest using a healthy dose during installation, that way if you do have any problems removal will be easier.

Ask around and see who has used what kit, what abuse it sees, and what results they have gotten and base your purchase on that. Otherwise it's like Russian Roulette.

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I have installed two body lifts from performance accessories and they came with all the necessary parts and more importantly the instructions that tell you what to look out for when raising your truck - steering, fuel filler, brake lines, etc. The body lift kits are cheap and they have all the right parts including the right length of grade 8 bolts.

You don't have to worry about them breaking after you install the kit. Removing your old bolts is another story. You will have trouble with old, rusted bolts. Buy some PB Blaster pentrating fluid and use it.

Stay with a 2" lift (not the 3") if you want to have an easy job. the 3" lift gets into problems with other things that can't go up that high such as the bumpers, the fuel filler, the steering, etc. The radiator fan cowl is another problem area when you lift the body.

Stick with the kit. It won't break and it's not that costly.

Good luck.