Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken bolt in 14BFF yoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Mar 19, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I snapped off one of the bolts in my Yoke. The other three came out fine of course. Is it ok to just drill these and use a grade 8 nut and bolt? I know it was covered before, but the word "yoke comes up a LOT on a search /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

danny, we broke a bolt in nick (chevy4wds) yoke and when we drilled it out, we broke a bit off and had to swap yokes.. be careful when drilling it so that doesnt happen.. but yeah we used grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts and it works great, you may have to grind the backside of the yoke a little for clearance of the nut..

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool but who's Danny? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problem.

Pretty much like you said, I drilled the holes out (all four of them) to 5/16" and then installed four bolts and nuts with lockwashers. It has worked well, so far. Oh, and like suggested, I took a grinder to the back of the yoke where the nut will be and gave it a little more clearance and made sure the nut will sit flush with the yoke.

Good luck drilling through your busted bolt without having your bit wander off to the side...I've found the yoke material is a lot softer than a bolt/extractor/drill bit combination. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif