Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken bolt problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDBlazer454, Oct 14, 2003.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Just over a week ago I noticed my driver side front leaf spring bolt had broken and worked its way out. What would cause it to break like that? I am a bit worried now as I still have some popping noises coming from that area when parking, any ideas to keep it from happenning again?

I did notice about 3 weeks ago that it was starting to wander a bit more, had excessive popping when turning in parking lots, and a loss of turning radius. Thankfully the only damage done was the inner shaft on the leaf spring is a little chewed up on the outer edge, could have been way worse and this could have been a post wrecked my big girl blazer.

btw, it has 6" Rancho springs that have been under the truck while it sat for 4 years but were under another truck for 2 years of heavy wheeling with no issue's. I double checked everything right after I got it road worthy 6 months ago and everything checked out fine.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

1 DONT DRIVE IT your driving on borrowed time allready
    90% chance ya got a broke spring center bolt and or your sector shaft (from the gear bok ) has damaged the teeth to your pitman arm.

3. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am not driving it this week as money is tight and its out of gas, but anyhow I did fix the bolt and checked the center shaft where the bolt goes and all the front steering and everything checked out. I will do another check on the pitman again and everything else, thanks. The truck drives great and straight as an arrow now that I fixed the bolt and a month ago it drove great then too.

Its always had a little popping from day one and when this suspension was under the 75 swb. Now I think I am just alot more aware of it. My 79 Blazer with 4" Rancho springs never popped and the 75 Blazer with 12" Superlift springs always popped and creaked.

Thank you.

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

shure thing
    Sound's like ya know what your doing and ya checked it all out to your satisfacation and i agree some trucks do make more noise then outhers
    Hows your turniong radius ?? mabe look into haveing the gear box rebuilt if needed till then fill er up and go play :-)
    R