Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I was attempting to remove the neck of the thermostat so I could change it. One bolt came off easy, the other, not good, it was really tight inside. I soaked it in liquid wrench and tapped it with a hammer multiple times. I got half of it out, the other half about 1/2" broke inside flush with the top of the intake manifold. I center punched it then chased it with bits up to 1/4". I hammered an EZ out in but still couldn't get it to come out. Also, I got a hair off center and wondering if I might have drilled into some of the threads from the intake. There's a thin wall of the bolt left on one side and about 1/8" on the other. Any suggestions on this one, I don't want to break the EZ out inside!!!

2. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

been there...drilling the hole on center is critical...but not a lost cause. there are special carbide cutting bits that can shave the thick side of that remaining metal out. then you can use a tap and clean the threads and put in a new bolt. call your local machine shop and ask them for a source for the right tools. good luck!