Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken caliper bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Aug 15, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I sheared the top off of a caliper bolt today right befor the threads and it still in the caliper rusted pertty good. I dont have a backout kit does anyone have any tips on getting the bolt out or is backout kit the only way...
    Brent

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

If you can't get to it with a pair of vise-grips I think you don't have too many options.

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

Try heating the surrounding caliper area with an acetylne(sp) torch, not propane (not hot enough), use some liguid wrench or similar product prior to heating. Then get a good grip on it with vise grips should come out

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

4. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

The bleeding zirks were frozen on my calipers and I priced them they were only $12 each at Autozone. Probably less effort to get new ones.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The label on this bottle of liguid wrench say Flamable, so be carfull................

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Its fried, I going to pull the knuckel and take it to a machine shop. Broke off just under the caliper so I cant get at it, oh well thanks anyway!
    Brent

7. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

I busted one a couple of years ago, turned a one day job into a 5 day job. We tried to like hell to get that bolt out. If I remember right the THREADED part of the bolt is in the dust cover/backing plate on the inside, not the caliper itself, I ended up cutting the bolt up to get the caliper off. Then took off the rotor and the dust cover with the broken bolt in it, tried an easy- out and liquid wrench ,no luck, so then tried the torch method, again no luck. So then I figure since I have it off the truck I'll take it to a machine shop, they tell me 80 bucks, plus the drill bits that break because I had heated and hardened the metal. Well heck, a new dust cover/ backing plate from G.M. is probably cheaper than that, so I check it out.....160.00 new! So now I figure I'll go the wrecker route and phone around , nobody seems to have one, which I find hard to believe, that is till I tell one guy the retail price from G.M. " Oh, well gimme your number, I'll see what I can do!", ya now he figures he can hose me on the part, see ya buddy! Anyway I ended up paying 80.00 bucks to the shop for a heli-coil and 10.00 for a new bolt 4 days later. I coated those puppies with anti seize and put it all back together, but that's my story hope you have better luck with yours!

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would cut the bolt and buy new calipers 12.00 at autozone. 78k5 is right it would save alot of time and money.