Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken camshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wildmouse216, Mar 23, 2006.

1. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of this happening before but my friend has a IH Scout with a 345 ci engine and the camshaft broke. The mechanic has it all apart and can't get the broken off back part of the camshaft out of the block. The mechanic is about to give up and my friend wants me to take a stab at getting it out and putting it all back together. Has anyone ever encountered this and have some kind of trick to getting it out of the block? Is anyone interested in buying it after I get it back together?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Haven't heard about any broken cams but i know that IHC is notorious about bad lifters.

3. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

Did the camshaft seize? That would sort of explain it breaking and not being able to come out.

4. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Is the engine in the vehicle? Does it have a freeze plug on the backside of the cam? The only thing I have seen break a cam is a misplaced connecting rod.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have never heard of one breaking in the engine . Have dropped one on the ground , it broke easily there , being cast and then ground .

6. wildmouse216

didn't seize. I thought about the freezeplug on the back too. We will see.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Broke one in my 98 Z-71, 5.7L Vortec.
    The #8 con-rod broke and came up and smacked the cam....

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've seen a couple break. It's not that common but it does happen.

If the engine is out of the truck, then it should have a plug on the back of the cam bore. Just stick a wooden rod in from the front and hammer it out the back.

If it's still in the truck and you don't want to pull it out, try using a magnet. Go to Radio Shack and get a rare earth magnet, preferably neodymium. Epoxy it to the end of a rod long enough to reach the cam and you should be able to pull it out.

If that doesn't work, you can try sticking an arc welding rod down the cam bore. If you just ground it straight on, it should weld the rod to the cam and then you just pull it out. Put a rubber hose around the rod so it doesn't ground out prematurely and then just slide the hose back once you get to the rest of the cam.

****CAUTION*** be sure you have somebody else standing by ready to shut the arc welder off once it sticks!! If you sit there and cook the rod, you'll likely set the engine on fire. :eek1:

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just put some jb weld on the end of a piece of tubing. Stick it on the cam and let it setup. JB quick only takes a few minutes.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Will that stuff stick to an oily surface?

11. francis

francis Registered Member

does this motor not have lifter holes? or a slot down the middle of the valley? I had a car (chevy lummina 3.1 v6)come in the shop the other day with a broken cam ( cam bearing spun) but all I did was put my fingers through the lifter holes and lift the cam and slide it forward!!! piece of cake

12. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

i had an 88 F150 and from to high an rpm threw a rod right threw the cam shaft , killed that motor, i did not have to worry to pull it out tho since i bought another motor and rebuilt

13. wildmouse216

Yoou guys are great. Thanks for the ideas. I may just pull the engine for ease of recovery and try all of your suggestions. Thanks a lot.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Cool. Let us know what works for you.