Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Cross Member

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Dec 9, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

It's the front one. Right at the motor mounts and cracked all the way through. Some spidering too. Should I replace it or can it be welded in place? If I replace it, can I get one new or do I have to buy a whole frame? If I weld it in place what's the best procedure?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you mean the one right under the oil pan? Or the one thats farthest forward? If its the one under the oil pan you could make a replacement one like people do when they want to run a straight drag link for crossover.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Find a replacement crossmember from any '85 on up to '91 4x4 truck. These are the "upgrade" to the cracked problems. They have a different shape thats said to eliminate the stress risers that lead to cracks. They also have a little bracket that bolts on to the member to the frame to aid in strength. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. landsmasher

Ooops... There's another member in the front of this one that has the mounts for the sway bar on it. This one is just in front of the oil pan. This is a 78.

Will the 85 to 91 replacement work there?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think the farthest front one is the stronger one he is mentioning, at least I think so cause of that brace he mentioned between teh member and the frame. My 84 has that brace though.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want new MOO makes one that will work with crossover steering.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/moocrossmember.shtml

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure you have a MINIMUM of a 4" lift, 6" would probably my minimum suggestion to use this crossmember. I bought one for my stock height 78 after my crossmember cracked. It hit the differential sitting on new front stock springs. You can get a old style or an "upgraded" new style crossmember as Wes recommended, but it requires pulling the motor out (Ask me how I know). I posted about my experiences a while back (probably a year or two ago with my 78. Not fun but worth doing. It can be welded in place, but it usually cracks close to where the fuel pump is located and gas lines are run so be CAREFUL if you do decide to go the welding route. If you do decide to weld, stop crack drill the spider cracks you can see to help stop any furthur spread FWIW.

8. landsmasher

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif