Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken dana 60??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevysrule, Sep 8, 2002.

1. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

after a recent hunting excursion, i came home to inspect my truck for damage, and what i found was disturbing.The front axle under the drivers side (exposed at the knuckle) is able to slide a whole (approx) inch and a half back and forth.This is with the hubs unlocked. does this sound like a broken hub, or a broken axle/u-joint.Also, when i manually spin the driveshaft with the hubs unlocked a clang occurs in the same area.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you mean in and out as in toward the differential and then back toward the hub, some amount of play is normal. Has it been giving you trouble?

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If the whole axle shaft assembly (inner, outer, and u-joint) can slide that far, the snap ring is missing that keeps the outer shaft from slipping through the hub assembly.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think Blazer1970 nailed it. Remove the outer part of the locking hub and see if the snap ring that fits in the groove at the very end of the outer shaft has broken or somehow popped off. That is what holds the axle in place and keeps it from sliding in and out of the housing.