Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken detroit in a 14 bolt chrismas eve.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Dec 26, 2003.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

anyone else blow up a detroit on chrismas eve or is it just me?i thought these things were indestructable.at least in a 14 bolt.i broke all the inner spline teeth clean off of the clutch gear.and ive only taken my truck off road a few times.it happened taking a left turn out of a parking lot.all i heard was chirp chirp chirp crunch slam slam slam.it still made it home but any time i had to stop and go again i had to let it idle.question is has this happened to many people or is this just a fluke in the locker itself?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you did indeed break a detroit in a 14 bolt, you'll be the first person I've ever heard of to do so.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have never heard of anyone doing that. What size tires are you running? 52's?? 64" firestones??? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is it truly a detroit?

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

MISF broke a D60 Detroit just a couple days ago. Same sort of thing, just driving around a corner and the WARN drive flange for his FF kit let go. Broke the Detroit in the process.
    I'd heard they (Detroits) are hell fer stout, but after my experience with the one in the rear of my Toyota I'm less than impressed.

6. chulisohombre

it is a tractec no spin/detroit locker.i think it is the new design detroit.i think maybe they should have stuck to the old design.im gonna try and get it warranteed but who really knows whatll happen un til i do.sorry about not giving all pertinent info.im also only running 35 inch wild country rvt tires.so it is not like the locker was grossly overtorqued.

7. chulisohombre