Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken door handle fixed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kiqman, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

For weeks now my driver's side door has not opened from the outside. It seems I've worked on every inch of this beat with the exception of inside the doors. So this morning I pull off the door panel, unhook the power window and lock switches, and remove the outside door handle. Turns out GM just used what looks like a raingutter nail and .20cent clip to hook the handle to the opening mechanism. The bottom of this nail-looking part is made into an "L" so it will hook into the opening mechanism near the point where the inside handle hooks in. My "L" had come loose so that when you pushed the botton outside the truck with your thumb to open the door, it was hooked to nothing. So I spend an hour trying to figure out how to reconnect the "nail". Then I had an idea (surely not the first guy) to just fab my own "nail" out of a coat hanger. Bent my own "L", wrapped the top end of the hanger around the button actuator and BAMM...door works better than it has in year. Also shot the whole workings with WD-40 and the thing works like brand new. Don't you love when you put off a job because you think it's going to be hell - just to find out you've been delaying for no good reason. Happy mechanic'n this weekend yall.

2. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Great tip, thanks for posting.