Broken Driveshaft Blues...HELP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83K5NYC, May 30, 2000.

1. 83K5NYC

83K5NYC Registered Member

May 30, 2000
    I have an 83 K5 silverado with a questionable history...
    I purchased it for 1000.00 with a 4" (leaf block, and maybe re-arc'd springs?) MT baja belted meats that were heavily (and unevenly worn), and a WICKED vibration in low torque situations.
    I have broken 3 U joints (rear shaft) on separate occasions (once in front of rear shaft, once in rear), one slip yoke and finally last sunday night I lost my entire rear shaft and my newly purchased slip youke on the highway travelling at 80mph.

If anyone can help, I will appreciate it IMMENSELY! I love my 'K5, and don't want to give up, but I want to fix it right. I also would like some pointers on getting my 4 inch lift (or better since I have to replace my lost shaft anyway), replacing those cheesy rubber leaf blocks...
    Oh yeah, I don't have alot of cash to spend at this point in the game.
    THANK YOU, my K5 brothers!!
  2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Feb 17, 2000
    Your pinon angle is wacked. The down angle of the u-joint at the case must be within 1deg of the up angle of the pinion or you will have vibration. My bet is the lift blocks are wedge shaped and the pinon is in line with the driveshaft or turned down to much. Buy a new driveshaft and adjust the angle of the shaft till the angles are close to the same.
    Drive shafts using u-joints ALL vibrate. The angles of the u-joints cancel out the vibration on the shaft so that it apears to not vibrate. As one joint creates a vibration the 2nd u-joint creates a vibration in the oposite phase so it is canceled out.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's