Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Exhaust Manifold bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84GMC, Apr 17, 2001.

1. 84GMC

84GMC Registered Member

Now what? After trying to fix an annoying exhaust leak from the manifold I broke 1 of the bolts. Now the leak is loader than ever. What can I do now?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get an (Easy out). Unless its on the doughnut side.Thats were mine is so I have to take off the manifold and then use an easy out to tap out the broken stud. I.E. ( drill hole, tap in Easy out tool then turn)

3. 84GMC

84GMC Registered Member

To clarify: I broke a bolt that went through the manifold to the engine block. It is the second to last bolt from the rear of the engine.

4. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

take your manifold off and if there is any bolt sticking out of the block you can weld a nut to it and let it sit for while so it gets nice and cold then try takeing it out

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sorry if I confused you I didn't know what side. Bandits right,and if you don't have enough hanging out or don't have a welder you'l have to use an easyout with lots of penatrating oil or a blowtorch to heat it up real good before you can turn it...Good luck.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what they have machine shops for. Seriously, if you broke a bolt off in the head, you are not going to have an easy time getting it out. I'm willing to bet that you try an EZ out and its just going to break. Besides, those bolts are small, and at a bad angle to try and drill into. If you do have some sticking out, by all means try the nut idea. I'd hit that with an Arc welder though, because you are going to get a stronger weld, and you need an extremely strong weld. Chances are if its in that tight, it will just break again, but you may get lucky and have it come loose.

Heating up the head around the bolt with a torch (acetylene) will swell the metal, and you WILL get it out that way, but you are going to end up warping the head, in which case it has to be machined flat again.

Unfortunately I think you are in a no-win situation, as I have never heard anyone having an easy time getting a broken bolt into the head out...

Maybe if there is some sticking out, you can hit it with a hammer...seriously, that may end up breaking it free of the heads grasp, which is what heating the metal does..shock to the bolt may free up the corrosive bindings : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

I had one brake off where the donut is on the exhaust manifold. I had to put it off and take it to a machine shop to have them take it out.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl