Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken fuel line

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Element, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Changed the fuel filter tonight and wound up with a fuel line that's cracked about 8" behind the filter. Northern winters = wonderful stuff. How hard is it to replace that section of line, and where could I get a replacement fuel line? Or, is there some sort of kit that would allow me to repair that section of line? It's an '87 K5.

This thing gets more and more fun every day.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just cut and flare the fuel line and install a union between the two pieces. Make sure to buy and install some flare nuts before flaring the line. I don't know how many times i made a nice flare to look on my bench and see the fitting sitting there. :doah:

3. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

OR: LMCtruck.com They specialize in oem type stuff...they have everything.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

any good parts store like napa / carquest/ i think auto zone will have a tbi fuel filter repair kit in a bag. 12-16" long section of line with the gm nut/oring flared on it and a compression fitting to install it. i like to ditch the compression fitting and get 2 brake line nuts and a union to make it better.

5. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Went to Auto Zone, guy there had no idea what I was talking about. Went to NAPA, they didn't have any of the kits, but I did get a 12" length of steel brake line, thinking I could patch the busted part of the line with that piece and a few worm clamps and some rubber hose, until the truck goes to the shop tomorrow (figures, things break at the worst time). Problem now - the line that goes into the rear fitting for the fuel filter is utterly and absolutely destroyed. No one around here carries the fitting, and even if they did, I don't know how I'd get it to work.

Ordering parts wouldn't be a big deal, except I have to get the Blazer from my house to the shop that's doing the ball joints tomorrow, which is about 35 miles. Going to try CarQuest here in a few minutes, but beyond that, trying to find the fuel filter fitting has me stumped.

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I THINK this is the one I got for my '95 yukon:

http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7002367&Description=Fuel+Line+Repair+Kit

It worked pretty well.

Don't tell anyone I told you this: but If you are running TBI the pressure isn't as High as on a Fuel Injected engine. I patched mine in Connecticut with some hose clamps and a chunk of 3/8 fuel line on the side of the road.

I wouldn't count on it for the long haul, but it got me back to Michigan where I could fix it right.

7. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

I had planned on just patching it with some high-pressure fuel line, but couldn't do it because of this:

[​IMG]

Shop's going to patch it tomorrow, then I'll probably just wind up ordering a new fuel pump, sending unit, and entire fuel line run, and replace everything one weekend. I haven't seen so much rust since I was working on my '79 C-10.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

81-up p/s line is the same fitting and flare with oring. if you just got a basic p/s line repair kit from them with short length of line it would work also.

tbi runs 15 psi or so of pressure. most basic rubber hose is only rated to 4-6 psi.

9. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good point. I didn't mention that I was using pressure-rated fuel line. Not the cheap basic stuff.

I've always kept some of it and some hose clamps in the truck. That time it payed to have it with me.