Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken glow plug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Orange, Apr 8, 2000.

1. Orange

Orange Registered Member

Ok so here's the problem... I go out today to change out some of my glow plugs in my 6.2 and what do I find? The tip of one of them had broken off inside. Is this really bad? I think It had broken off some time before because It didn't feel like I broke it when It came out. If I need to, how do I get it out if it's still in there? Thanks

Orange 84' Jimmy

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I would personally pull the head and take a look, a small piece can cause alot of trouble. I know many will disagree, but my opinion is better safe than sorry.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

3. RJimmy

RJimmy Registered Member

How about one of those small magnets mounted on a flex shaft I see in some auto parts stores? Should fit through the glow plug hole, but might not make it past the precombustion chamber. It's only a couple of bucks, might be worth a try before pulling the head.

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

1.Take a thin wire and make a loop at the end, use some sticky stuff at the end.

2.Try to blow it out with a few turns on the starter. Get someone to see at the same time so you will know if you get lucky.

3.Suck through a straw, dont inhale though!!

Hope you dont have to take your top off, could be you will be opening up a can of mad frogs.....
    Good luck, let us know.

http://sites.netscape.net/espensplace/homepage

5. Orange

Orange Registered Member

I can't use the magnet Idea because the tips aren't magetic. I think I'll try rippin off the head but first try all the other alternatives. Thanks for the help.

Orange 84' Jimmy

6. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

take the valve cover off and compress the exhaust valve springs this will open the valves then take off the exhaust manifold just blow compressed air in when you see it shoot out you know you got, ive tried it on a 25,000hp ship diesel before trust me it usually works

7. K5experience

K5experience Registered Member

i know this isn't going to sound right to some of you but bare with me. if i am understanding you right when you pulled out the glow plug it was already broke and it was only a small peice that was missing,odds are that peice has worked its way out of your engine. if it is still in there and it is a small peice then i wouldn't even worry about it ,it will work its way out without hurting anything . glow plugs are made of soft metal and won't hurt anything but if it is a big peice then pull the injector and try and get it out that way and if that doesn't work then pull the head. i am a diesel mech in the air force and have worked on many 6.2 and 6.5 engines and i have never had a engine get jacked up by doing that.

btw if you do pull the heads do not bend up the injector lines because it will mess up the injector timing
    if you have any ? e-mail me and i will be happy to help in any i can ,those diesels can be tricky some times.

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with K5 experiance . If it was already broke don't worry about it . If you're not sure pull the injector and use a vacuum to suck it out .

9. Orange

Orange Registered Member

Well today I tried turning it over a few times to see if any thing would rattle or shoot out. I had someone watching while did this. We couldn't hear anything. I think It had broken off awhile back and didn't realize it. The tip of the glow plug looks a little worn like it might have been like that for awhile. I guess I'm just not really going to worry about it and hope that it's not still in there.

Orange 84' Jimmy