Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BROKEN GLOW PLUGS

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Mar 28, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hello again friends,
    These days i,ve talked to you about my trouble with the glow plugs light,do you remember?Well the last sunday i started the engine,it had a little difficult to start.Well today i,ve tryed to start the engine(it was stoped since the sunday),the glow plugs light didn,t bright,the starter motor turns well but the engine not start.My car has a button for start the glow plugs without the relay help,(in case it is damaged).pressing this button and actioning the start,and the engine continues without run.Well,i open the bonet and check out the plugs.The eight plugs are broken.In the contact key position,the glow plugs bright weakly,sometimes,other times,the relay start to work a few seconds,and back to off,and back to works, so over and over.But all the plugs are worn.
    Can it be a sender,or a relay failure?Has the relay some way to heat,depending the engine temp?Somebody has the glow pugs circuit diagram?If some body can scanner it and send it to me i would be thanks to him.Also thanks for any answer.
    Jorge .Coke160@latinmail.com

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey. I am going to try to help you with your glow plug problem.

The way I understand your system works normally, but if it doesn't you have a pushbutton that will cycle the glow plugs? You need to find out what kind of glow plugs you have. If they are AG 9 no wonder they don't work. Can you remove them all from the engine? If you can't you need to get a tool or make one yourself to get them out. I will point you in the right direction if you need one. Goto your part store or where you can get parts and get AC Delco AG 60. Get nothing less. Replace them and try that out. The AG60s are a good set and are to not ever wear out.

Are you on the DieselPage?

http://SK-15.coloradok5.com
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I would think that if the previous owner had added a manual glow plug switch he had a problem with the glow plug controller or thermoswitch. It should be pretty easy to check the controller operation, and thermoswitch, with a multimeter.

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a problem I used to have with my previous 6,2.

I used to have to climp upp on the bumper and wiggle/shake the glow-plug contoller on the driverside off the aircleaner towards the fire-wall. Could just be a bad connection here. Try it next time the lights dont glow. Leave the ignition on and try to wiggle the controller. You will here it click if it is what I think.
    If thats not it here's a troubleshooting page I scanned from the haynes diesel book.:

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Well, thanks for all the answers,friends.And thanks for the Haynes book scanner,but just today the postman has brought to my home ,the Diesel repair manual,by Haynes, i thought it went to arrive later,but i was waiting it.With his help,i think i know wich can be the trouble.My truck is 88´,so it has the electronic relay/plug controler,and 6 volts plugs...
    Maybe,the first owner,when something started to failure,the relay or the inhibit switch,(i might to looking the failure),then he installed a switch in the board,for make to works the glow plugs,without the relay,conecting these plugs at 12V!And these are a 6 Volts plugs!So,the eight are burned.This can be the trouble,but i need to check out all the components with the multimeter.
    I,ve tryed to register me in the 6.2-6.5 diesel page,over and over,but they never sends to me the password,i would like ,can to enter, it is interesant page.
    For extract the glow plugs is enough a 3/8 wrench,no?Why i need a special tool?Thanks again.

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I used a deep socket on my ratchet when I replaced mine and didn't have any problems.

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you want I will talk to some of the people at the DieselPage and see what the problem is?!?

The reason you might need a special tool is if the glow plugs have swelled up. If they are swollen you might have a hard time getting them out and if need be pull the heads off!!

Here is something to try. On the Glow plug Relay that is on the firewall you should see a red and a blue wire. Take a jumper wire and hook it into the blue spot and ground the other end with the key on. You should hear your glow plugs cycle. Find out if this switch is hooked up this way or where it is hooked up at. If this works your relay is good. If not you have a bad relay or bad connection somewhere!!

Hope something can help you.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

8. rustypig

rustypig Registered Member

"Special tools???" Here's your "special" tool....
    If the glow plugs are swollen, get some strong but flexible wire the size of a tooth pick. Make about 10-15 wraps in a circle about six or so inches long. Twist one end till it makes a loop just big enought to get over the plug. Use vice grips to twist it a bunch more. Stick "big bertha" (3 foot screwdriver) or a crowbar through the other end and rest it against the frame. Pull like a muther, or kick it if you have to...repeat 7 more times....they'll come out or break. If they break...don't sweat it. Put in your new plugs and fire it up....out comes the old plugs in tiny chunks. Doesn't hurt it the engine (according to many diesel mechanics), but if your real paranoid, you can always pull an injector out and vaccume the pieces out...no problems either way. Good Luck

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, you've got to apply some real force to remove a g-plug thats swollen. Most of us contrive some sort of tool that apply force while we unscrew it. BUT WAIT I have to disagree with rustypig in a big way. BROKEN GLOW PLUGS LEFT IN YOUR CYLINDER WILL CAUSE DAMAGE. I got a couple of aluminum ashtrays (were pistons) to prove it. 'Seen way to many hammered piston tops and valves because the mech didn't get all the piece out. If the g-plug breaks on extraction, pull the injector and try to lasso it with wire, nylon tie, hymostats, vacume, whatever. Worse case scenario pull the head (it not as hard as pulling a piston!).

10. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, Changed alot of those "stinkin" glow plugs working for a dealer. I made a special tool for taking the bulged ones out. I welded a slide hammer onto a pair of vise grips. It saved my butt many a time. But, there were also those other times! GOPHERKILLER