Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken greasable spring eye bolts?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 6.2Blazer, Jul 14, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Broke a front greasable spring eye bolt this last weekend wheeling. When the bolt broke it pretty much took out the entire bushing and the sleeve. Is this fairly common, or is there some other part going bad that could have caused this?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd like to take a look at the bolt, it was probably a bolt failure primarily. I'm guessing it was a bad bolt to start with.
    Give me a call and we'll trade you a new assembly for the busted one so we can look at it. Was it one of the newer Gr8 bolts? We've never had a problem with either one but you're more likely to break a Gr5 bolt. I'm assuming it was on the driver's side?

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if it was a "newer grade 8" or not, I've had them for a few years now.

Yes, it was the driver's side.

It would be awesome if you would replace it. I only managed to recover half of the bolt, couldn't find the other half. I will be calling you later on this afternoon to work out the details.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    I had one break about 2 months ago as well. It broke on the thread end just inside the shackle. I think mine just reached its service limit. It was pushing 4 yrs of hard wheelin. It broke clean like a typ grade 8 will when over-torqued.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sent a couple of pics of the broken bolt and sleeve (they will show up in a couple of different messages since all the pics were too big to put together).

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't know what happened to the bolt from looking at the pics, it looks pretty mangled, I'm going to say that bolt had problems from the start.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to take a look at the bolt, it was probably a bolt failure primarily. I'm guessing it was a bad bolt to start with.
    Give me a call and we'll trade you a new assembly for the busted one so we can look at it. Was it one of the newer Gr8 bolts? We've never had a problem with either one but you're more likely to break a Gr5 bolt. I'm assuming it was on the driver's side?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya know... i keep hearing about this stand up guy you are... and i have only bought from ya once. wish i had money to buy from you and a few others a lot more. because of things like this, i really dont mind spending a few dollars more on your products.
    keep it up man.
    Grant

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is the greasability making the bolts weaker? They are hollow after all, aren't they?

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

All I remember from school is removing metal from the center has less effect than removing it from the outside. That is why racers use gundrilled axle shafts rather than going w/ a smaller size to reduce weight.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Give me a call and we'll trade you a new assembly for the busted one so we can look at it.

[/ QUOTE ] Now that's unbeatable customer service !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif