Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken harmonic balancer bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wegel11, Sep 20, 2004.

1. wegel11

wegel11 Registered Member

Just broke the harmonic balancer bolt when trying to put the new balancer on my new engine. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have already tried using an ez-out for 6 straight hours with no luck. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. terky

terky Registered Member

i dont think this will work if an easy out didnt work but its what i do, cuz i dont have an easy out. Drill a hole like you normally would and use an allen wrench thats the same size or a little bit bigger. Tap it with a platic hammer to make sure its really in there tight and hopefully wou will be able get it out.

I dont know how well that would work or even if it would work at all beacause the easy outs already been in there.

If there is enugh meat in there you could also try and loctite another bolt to the end and getting it out that way. But then you run the risk of really getting it stuck.

I dunno, i hope you can get it out.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Reverse thread bolts and taps are sold I would suggest buying these to drill tap and use the reverse threads and tighten up in the coounterclockwise direction to back out the bolt $35 in parts might be worth the investment where to find them I cannot guess but I do know that they are out there /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Which bolt? The center one? How did you break it?

Is anything sticking out that you could weld a nut to?

5. wegel11

wegel11 Registered Member

yeah, its the center bolt, it broke when trying to torque the balancer down. No, i wassnt lucky enought to have any part of it sticking out. i almost have it all drilled out, so i think im just going to re-tap it, any tips for that?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The balancer bolt on the 305 I just put in my 79 C10 had evidently been stripped or broken off before I got it--it had a 1/2 inch course thread bolt in it,so someone must have tapped it out oversize(stock bolt is 7/16-20 thread).They had a cheap grade 2 bolt in it,and it only went in about 3 or 4 threads,and was pretty sloppy,so I found a grade 8 bolt a little longer and cut it down so it would engage as many threads as possible before bottoming out--it fit much tighter,and I felt that if it had no problems the way it was,I should not have any either.Another post on here recently had the same dilema as you,I mentioned that some mechanics feel the damper bolt isnt really mandatory,as the early small blocks (283,327)never even had a hole for a bolt in the crank and they had no trouble--his machine shop agreed,said they use locktite to help hold it on,they have done it before with no issues.
    I saw one motor while shopping for one at the boneyard that had a broken balancer bolt--and a big blob of 6011 arc welding rod on the crank snout drooling over the balancer--geuss that guy wanted to be sure his balancer didnt EVER fall off! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif