Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken hood latch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mil22spec4, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mil22spec4

mil22spec4 Registered Member

I have an 86 K5 with a 81 front end. The cable came off of the latch so can anyone help me figure out how to open the hood without cutting? Thanks.
    There is nothing connected to the latch at all.

2. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

If you can still see the cable, grab it with a pair of pliers or somthing and give it a pull.

3. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

did the cable come off of the hood latch or the pull thingy in the cab? If it came off in the cab ive been able to grab the cable with a hanger and get it to release the hood. If it came off of the hood latch ive been able to release it by using a screw driver or pry bar and pushing on the thing where the cable attaches.

4. mil22spec4

I was trying with a screw driver to push the thingy under the hood but I can't see anything. Can anyone send me a picture so I have an idea of where it is? Much appreciated. mil22spec4@yahoo.com

5. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Ya thats a problem i just had to push and pry on enough stuff that it finally poped open. Just keep at it and you can get it. Do you have another vehicle you can look at? I recon most hood latches are similar.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

get a piece of 1/4" steel, and insert between the hood and the core support. pry up on it just enough to be able to get to the bolts, and then remove the hood latch from the hood. when you're done, pond the hood back into place. i had to do this to my 86 one time, never disturbed my paint or grille trim.

7. mil22spec4

Hey I got it. I just went to the bone yard (because no one would send me a picture) and checked one out. The I took a coat hanger and fished behind the receiver until I hooked the release lever. Took about ten minutes with the coat hanger. Hope this helps someone out in the future.