Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken hub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TULSAK5, Feb 14, 2003.

1. TULSAK5

TULSAK5 Registered Member

I broke a hub last night pulling another truck out of the mud. My question is; Is there a "fusible link" in the hubs that break or do I need to replace the whole hub? I remember Steve Frisbie fixing one on the trail up at Disney but I didn't pay attention at the time. They are warn lockouts on a 10 bolt. Any help is appreciated.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Warn Premiums come with a "hub fuse" that is supposed to give out before anything else breaks, if that helps.

John

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you don't have Warn Premium hubs with the fusible link, then no there is no fusible link in your hubs, and you will most likely have to replace the whole thing. If you switch to Warn Premiums you can get the fuses in them so hopefully they will strip before a hub, axle, a R&P break. If you run a front locker other then an ARB you can run them though.

Harley

4. TULSAK5

My bust, I have superwinch hubs not warn, so I guess I'm in the market for a new set.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the warn premiums can be bought for about 70 bucks is the best ive seen.the warn fuses are 20 bucks extra.they are just thinner metal than the standard lock ring and will brewak easier than the ujoints or shafts.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is assuming that the tires are pointed straight or near straight. If they are turned, then all bets are off, and the ujoint will probably be the weak link. If you have superwinch hubs I believe that they have a lifetime warranty and you can get another one free. Personally I would buy the Warns and fuses, and keep the superwinches for spares.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

then just add some ctm u joints and warn axleshafts and all will be good.thats assumeing you want stuff that is lifetime guaranteed.i just wish i had the money for that stuff.i have the hub fuse in my hubs but have never broken one.luckily i havent broken a ujoint either.theres alwasys the next wheeling trip though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Where is a good source to buy Warm Premiums with the fusible link and what are the part numbers?

Thanks
    Ross

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Only if you swap in aftermarket shafts & joints. The fuses have a higher breaking strength than the stock shafts and are stronger than a 5-297/5-760 joint when turned.

10. TULSAK5

I just did an internet search. The cheapest place I found was www.accessconnect.com. Regular Warns are 60 bones and premiums are 80 bones with free shipping. Does anybody know a cheaper place?

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Try your local parts store. About the same price, but no wating.