Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken knuckle trail fix ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by evo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. evo

evo Registered Member

how do you get your rig with a broken knuckle off the trail without replacing it???????????

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

With one of these, just lift your rig instead of a wall.

I really have no idea how it would be possible to drive with a broken knuckle. Maybe just drag the truck, but that would tear up a lot of parts.

[​IMG]

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Duct tape???

4. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

One of the guys I Wheel with has a winch mounted high on the back of him rig. Chain or tie that axle end up as high as you can get it. Use your winch to tie on to the back of another rig and drive slow, would be one way

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Welder if it is a clean break and not shattered. Or if you have hossbaby 50 around 3 car batteries and welding rod.

Tough spot to be in. Time to make a parts run.

6. evo

evo Registered Member

bad spot to be in for sure, it took me about 9 hrs to get mine on a trailor. went on a parts run to start with and couldn't find one. then a guy that was with us had an onboard welder and welded it up
    [​IMG] that didn't work, it broke as soon as it had weight on it. i guess he had the wrong rod or something? i wanted to hook to another truck with the winch but my truck was way bigger than the others. buggies and sammies. so pretty much drug it the whole way. it sucked!! needed that heli.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my truck dosen't look like this anymore, i've since skinned it and painted it.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks like you answered my question from in another post. Does not look like fun for sure......

8. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Doing what ya gotta do! damn that looks heinous!

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A guy in my club used to have a 4 runner that he had a big problem breaking steering knuckles on. I dont know exactly how they broke but I do know that several hundred zipties were used to get him off the trail on more than one occasion. Let me see if I can dig up a pic.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was not present at the time, but 78Buford broke a knuckle on his Ford D60 last year. Fortunately it was still partially attached but kept folding under. I think basically they ratchet strapped it as much as possible and then just drug it off the trail. Unfortunately the fullsize truck was by far the biggest which didn't help, otherwise they could have just winched the bumper tight together and drug it out. From the part of the trail it was broke on is normally easy to drive out and takes maybe 15 minutes to the road, but it took several hours in this case.

In a recent mag they showed a trail fix in which the guy unhooked the steering to the broken side, ran a winch through a pulley to it, and then pinched off the other brake line. He could use the winch to pull the wheel one way, and then when he hit the brakes it would pull the other way. I guess this would probably be more efficient for a pure steering issue, but sounds like it could help.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

So what are all the contributing factors to broken knuckles?

Obviously bigger tires,

What else? Does hydraulic assist steering put more force on the knuckle than it can handle?

12. evo

evo Registered Member

like you said bigger tires, hydro assist and high steer especially, it puts all the load in that top part of the knuckle where stock ones weren't meant to have it.

13. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Mine broke with stock steering and 42's. It was obviously weakened in some way/fatigued/cracked before it broke.

I had driven up a fairly nasty hill in August of 2005. The hill is nicknamed "Butttpucker." It was dry, and I made it without any real trouble. When I made it over the top, I was "wiggling around" to park out of the way for the next rig to attempt the hill. The steering went limp (on flat ground), and yes indeedy....it was not fun getting it off the trail.

I considered swapping to a Chevy knuckle, as they are noted to be beefier than the Ford D60 knuckles...but nowhere near the strength of an aftermarket Dedenbear unit. I bought Dedenbear knuckles for both sides. Believe me, I was not happy with spending close to $600 on two chunks of steel that did not make the truck any more capable on the trail (IE: larger tires, better gears, locker, etc). Looking back however, I'm glad I bought the Dedenbear knuckles. My motto has always been: "If it breaks, upgrade it." I don't exactly have $$ falling out of my arsehole, and understand that this is not always possible....but almost everything on my truck that is upgraded over stock was due to need...parts were getting worn, were about to fail, I knew that I would be adding more stress in the future (planning on jumping from 38's to 42's two years ago), etc... or parts outright failed.

My advice: Due to the seriousness of the knuckle failure on the trail "PITA factor," I'd recommend carrying spares...or better yet buy Dedenbear knuckles. Like most things vehicle related, they are cheaper for Chevy's than they are for Ford's. ;)

Roy

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think there is another solution. Currently facing this decision and something has to be done soon, sort of a vague plan right now. I don't think there is any other trail carnage that presents as much of a challenge.