Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Leaf Spring, How common/dangerous?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JROSS, Mar 21, 2002.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Just got back from lunch and took a look at my rear end and noticed that the 3rd leaf from the top on both sides are broken. There is about a 1-2" space on one side and 1" on the other side. How bad is this? Guess this answers my questions on wether to replace my blocks with a shackle flip or spring lift. Comments appreciated.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Either way you'd need a new leaf or a whole new pack. If you used a flip you'd still use your old springs.
    It's pretty commom My 79 Jimmy had 3 busted leafs.
    A spring lift would be cheaper I would imagine. other wise you'd have to buy new springs and then get the flip kit. or you just get a lifted spring pack and call it good.

That being said...I have a set of half ton springs and 3/4 ton springs here,LOL

3. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

TTT, Is this a safety issue?

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the shop last week to get work done including fixing some really bad (and scary) body roll. In the course of leveling the rig front to back (by adding a leaf), they found one of the rear springs was broken thru all the leafs right under the strap, so it wasn't visible.

I would say that driving around with all the springs broken on one side is a dangerous thing. One leaf may not be too bad, but why take the chance? Your life isn't worth unnecessary risks.

5. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

I drove for a couple months with 2 broken leaves on each side in the rear with no problems.

I wouldn't recommend it cause it is unsafe, but I had no problems.

Just my .02

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

JROSS, I see that you live in Shingletown, CA. Not real sure how far that is from me, But I have a set of stock springs with the overload I'd let ya have cheap if your interested. I'm in Grass Valley, CA. Alittle north of Auburn. PM me if interested. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

260+ miles according to yahoo.