Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken leaf springs!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alf4444, Oct 7, 2004.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I have one leaf broke in both my rear spring packs on my 78 blazer. Finding replacements has proven more difficult that I could ever had imagined . I was wondering if I could just replace the broken leaf with another add a lef Or do think that would be a bad Idea?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Junkyards should have all kinds of good used springs. Get some from a pickup--they're likely to be less worn out. Replace the bushings with poly and you'll be good to go.

If not, JC Whitney has NEW springs, and your local spring shop can get you hooked up if that doesn't work for you. You always have the option of going with lift springs as well...so your options are seemingly endless.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have replaced and re-stacked individual and whole packs of leaf springs before. But it's better to just get a matched pair, used or new. That way, at least you will have less chance of sitting uneven if one side decides to sag more than the other.

4. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

This a common problem, especially when running lift blocks in the rear. The lift blocks create more axle wrap which lead to broken springs. I did that about three times with junkyard springs before I got wise and just got a set of lift springs.