Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken lower shock mounts, help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Jun 23, 2005.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Under my truck this afternoon and noticed my front shock mounts..
    driver
    [​IMG]
    passenger (weld at the tube and left side) crack
    [​IMG]

I need to fix this obviously...what is the best way to do this. I dont have a welder which is a problem...is that the only fix...get a new factory bracket and weld on or is there a bolt on solution? Has this happened to anyone? I was getting ready to throw on my 9012's and ford towers, but this throws a minor wrench in things :mad: . Thanks for any help getting my rig back on the road.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

What you have shown us is not that uncommon... especially with wheeling and the dual factory shock combo....

It isnt a hard fix for a competent welder.... he can cut off the broken mount and fab a new one.... I would consider matching the other side as well.... and the weldor can use heavier stock than the 1/8" chevy uses

I would imagine worst case scenario getting hosed at the welding company it shouldnt run over 150.00 or 2hours of labor.... a good guy price would be 50.00
    I would call a reputable local 4by company and discuss it with them... ask some of the norcal boys where to go

There is no good,safe, bolt on fix

cam

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Cool man, thanks. Yeah I figured they could do that. Do you know of or does anyone on this board sell some pre cut mounts that I could get welded on? I thought I've seen them around here before, but dont remember where.
    Also...should I use the stock placement or is there a little better location to put them...I was thinking of throwing on my ford towers and then doing the lower mounts to make sure they are on a clean line...any ideas or pics of anyones "aftermarket" setups?

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Come on guys....there has to people on here that have changed there front lower mounts....I just need to know where I can get a set...even stock...I just need to get moving. Anyone happen to know the front driver part number from GM? Are there heavy duty aftermarket ones that keep the shock angle and location?

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure NONE of your shocks are actually seized. My top shock mount on the LR broke from that

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Try Steve Watson at off road design.... he has his own forum here on ck5...
    if there are any pre made mounts (and I dont recall any) he will know....

what you are looking for is an easy fab for a weldor... perhaps thats why you dont see "mounts" sold seperately

cam

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks like your front axle was swapped at some time. Those mounts are for the factory SINGLE shock mount. :eek1: The mounts for a factory double shock setup have an extra steel plate welded across the bottom of the mount to provide extra strength. Perhaps someone has a pic handy for ya...

Any decent welder/fabricator would be able to fix that mount up for ya in 30 minutes or less. :cool1:

8. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

If you want to save money fabricate the mounts your self and just have the welder weld them on. Its a really easy piece to fab up. Just get a piece of 1/8" steel. Use a piece of cardboard to trace the original onto and transfer that onto the steel plate. With a cut off wheel and grinder you should have that done in no time. Then your only paying for him to weld it on.

9. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thanks guys...I did do a swap to the d44 a little while back and noticed it about the mounts, but didnt think it was a problem...guess I was wrong. I think I am going to fab some myself out of 3/16 or 1/4" and box them on both ends.

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status