Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken lower shock mt.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by carolina custom, Feb 10, 2002.

1. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

well I broke my lower shock mount on my front 10 bolt today. I have the quad shocks. I have been planing the upper ford shock mt. and the rs9012s. Whats the best fix for the lower?

84k20,18:1- 6.5td,400/208,4.10,4",35"s

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

weld it back together with a gusset on it, or replace it.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When that happened to me, I was lucky, and a 4x4 shop in Phoenix made the reapir kits for this problem. But since then they have discontinued this kit. My suggestion is go to a good fab shop in your town, and they should be able to fix it for you. If you know someone who welds, and the bracket is fixable then have them do it. Just make sure to reinforce the broken side and the other side too so it doesn't break and have to deal with the problem again.

P.S. After the mount is fixed you can remove the shorter shock. It will reduce stress on the mount, and improve your ride too.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

The single shock sounds like a good idea. The mounts appear to have been reapired before with plates samwitched on the outside. they are pertty ripped and mangled. It looks like I will probably have to cut off the whole mount. I will probably fab some out of 1/4 plate and weld triangle gussets perpendicular between the shock mount and the axel tube. Is this a good idea? Also are the mounts at 90 degrees to the axel or is my other side bent? I am sure this is all caused from the shocks bottoming out and incorect bumpstops.

84k20,18:1- 6.5td,400/208,4.10,4",35"s

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With my new mounts the shocks aren't parallel to the axle tube anymore. The are mounted at an angle, but I am not sure it matters much.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.