Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken lugnut studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Nov 29, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

ok--it's been a while, I'd like to get an idea on what I can do to fix two broken studs on my left rear wheel axle(4 lugnuts are diametrically opposed but two are missing. I have to fix my e-brake for an inspection sticker anyway so I figured I'd be in there anyway--

THE BOTTOM LINE: what do I have to do? Do I have to pull the axle to replace the studs? I have 33" bfgs and am afriad to put any kind of torque on the rear axles without the other lugnuts on it. 4 out of six isn't good, right?

DeeVee8

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

At most, you'll have to remove the axleshaft. Try destroying the pieces left in there with a drill.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I sheared a wheelstud on my Firebird. Could I just drill a hole and pull it out with an easy-out? I've never done this before either and am woried about the other 4 with all the torque my car makes.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Relax.... all you gotta do is pull the wheel and brake-drum off, smack the broken pieces back thru the axle flange with hammer and punch, and pull your new lug-studs into place using a lug-nut and a few large washers by tightening the lug-nut. Just did all the rears myself this summer.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just resting!"

5. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I can't really help, but on the subject of high torque and studs... My friend has a 69-70 Mustang Mach 1 with a nice 351 Cleveland in it. He pulls up next to a new Mustang and revs his engine and what not, well when the light turned green he wound up the engine and did a neutral drop and busted 3 studs off one of his rear wheels.

<font color=red>Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.</font color=red>

6. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to "smack" them out? I have 3 that need to be replace on my drivers rear and I tested this on one and hit it pretty good about 5 times and it didn't budge! Is there a way to make this easier?
    Thanks for your help!
    Jeff (KING K5)

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Take the rotors or drums, which ever and have them pressed out and get new ones pressed in. I just did this when I did my brakes.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If we're talking about K/5s...the wheelstuds are in the rear axle-flange,the brakedrum only slips over the studs before ya bolt on your wheel! I never had too much problem using a decent size ball-peen or a 2.5 to 5 lb. hand sledge hammer and a flat-nosed punch.Even did my front ones after I pulled the rotors off the frontend. Go buy your new studs and look at them-you'll see what holds them in is not that tough to BONK loose.

9. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

so the rear studs are a piece of cake! just whack them out- and you don't even have to remove the axle. well, then-- I'll do that tomorrow then-- I've been wary about putting the "hammer down" like i used because I only have 4 of the 6 on .

thanks-- I'll try it--
    -Dv8

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Didja get them out OK?

11. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

I use a hardened bolt next size smaller rather than a punch because I don't have a punch that big dosn't hurt to put a little penitrating oil on them first. Couple of smacks with a hand sledge should do it. let me know what the new ones cost ,I broke a couple on a nasty little Toyota motorhome one time ,parts store did'nt carry them and the dealer charged me like twelve dollars apeice for them........
    mrivan..........

12. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

they're still in therer.. i can't do it now-- its too frikken cold out..and i have no garage..
    i have looked into repacking my wheel bearings too--but the grease feels like an ice pak--
    i'll remeber your advice and do this job when i can find a heated garage....
    -dv8

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Man, where do you live??? I think its too cold out at 50 degrees!!! Course I'm in So Cal!! It was frigging 80 degrees yesterday!!!

ken