Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

...broken motor... gay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been working on my truck for about 7 months now to get her all ready for 1 trip that me and my friends do every year... that is next week. Just about got her done and ready to roll w/ new suspension, new 1 ton gear, hydro steer, full cage, stretched wheelbase, crossover, etc... only to fire her up today and find ALOT of noise in the bottom end of the motor...:frown1: gay... Not sure what happened, it ran fine when I put her in the shop. Gonna pull the pan off tomarrow and see what kind of stuff falls out.:crazy: But for now I am just gonna try and get drunk enough to ease my sorrows.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nah that will only make you more pissed off , or you could drowned them out but youll be in no shape to fix them tomorrow.

that blows, oil psi?

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

im curious to see what is in the oil pan.......

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

From the sounds of it, probably a bunch of stuff that isn't supposed to be there... look ma, its sprinkles...:laugh: If there is anything cool looking then I will take some pics and post them up tomarrow.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You shouldn't let it sit that LONG and not lube it up first . I would of drained oil , pulled the valve covers ( or at the very least pulled pcv and breathers so you had a hole on each side ) and slowly poured 2 and half quarts in on both sides of motor , also a little zoom oil or Marvels in each plug hole . Then started it up .

Basically though , if you have the engine where she can start , start it up once in awhile . When I was waiting on axle money when I broke my gov loc , I started it up every day or two :k5: :k5:

6. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Put down the crack pipe and quit giving advise, is it the oil in the spark plug holes or the oil you pour in the valve cover you expect to hit the bearings?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have owned/own many a vehicle that sit for months at a time w/o being started. Are you telling me that if I don't start my rig for a week that I should pour oil down the valve covers before I start it? What is the difference if it sits for a day or 6 months, either way there is no oil anywhere but in the pan...?

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Your right about the oil, but there hasn't been time for moisture to settle and start to rust and/or pit next to the piston rings. Each their own is my opion, but I'm with Paul. An hour or two to prep a engine that has sat is better than might having to spend a few thousand on a new motor if moisture does get in there!

I'm with you Paul!

But do what you want with yours.....Just don't be like Brittney afterwards and sing "Opps I Did It Again"!

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the difference is they can sit for a month or so without being fired and not have damage because of the oil film that is still there fromt the last time it had pressure... when it sits for 6 months its basically metal on metal for the first couple seconds its turning over because their isn't a film left and it takes a second or two for the oil to get to every part of the motor...

don't forget about the old electric drill and a flathead screwdriver... have to time it again tho.

10. pauly383

I have done the same before , just started them . However I think I am just more anal now than I used to be . Just giving my 2 cents worth . I am all for better safe than sorry , and would prefer some oil on whatever I can get it on before cranking . Just mainly peace of mind I guess , but what would I know I just wheel with 305's and highway gears anyway :k5: :k5:

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My truck sits for weeks/months without being started. Y'all are anal. It's a Chevy V8, damn. I've run them out of oil before and simply added oil and they still run fine. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Just ask laketex. :grin:

12. pauly383

Dave/Shawn have run them out of oil too , and it sits in my front yard and doesn't turn over so we have to pull the converter with motor :D

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I beleive that ****.... my bro ran his 4.3 without oil for a day without knowin... don't mean it's not stripping miles off its life tho.

14. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

me too....
    the motor the supersize75k5 is running in his blazer sat outside in the weather for like 8 months. we changed the oil, pulled the plugs and turned it over many times to get all the water and junk out. put new plugs and wires and it runs like a champ:grin:

as for my 74, thats a differnt story. it would eat more oil than gas, so i let the motor go, and im swapin in a new motor now:grin:

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It wasn't completely out of oil I guess...but I did pour 4 1/2 quarts into it and it wasn't knocking. :grin: :grin:

16. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

that sounds about right. it ran with about a quart or so of oil for about 3 weeks:grin::grin:

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This was my tow rig and I was on my way home from Real Truck Challenge.

FWIW that was the last time that truck will ever leave my yard, but the motor still runs fine and is going in a future truggy.

It's woooooooooooornnnnnnnnnnn out though.:grin: :grin: